Skip Navigation

On-Campus Employment

Immigration regulations permit F-1 and J-1 students to work on campus during their academic program. On-campus employment is limited in the number of hours you may work depending on the time of year. In general, you may begin on-campus employment as early as the program start date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019, and may continue work through the last day of your final term of studies.

Eligibility for Employment

F-1 and J-1 students must be in good academic standing and in valid immigration status in order to engage in on-campus employment. F-1 students do not require special authorization to engage in on-campus employment.

Employment Authorization Letter for J-1 Students

J-1 students must receive prior written authorization from International Student and Scholar Services (or the program sponsor, if different) prior to engaging in on-campus employment. If DU is not your program sponsor, you must request an employment authorization letter directly from your sponsor.

Work Study Positions

International students are not eligible for work study positions, which are subsidized by the state and federal governments. If you find an on-campus employment opportunity that appeals to you but that is funded by work study, contact the position supervisor to ask if alternate funding may be available.

Definition of On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is defined as employment for the University of Denver, including on-campus businesses such as Denver Dining by Sodexo that provide services for the student population.

Off-campus housing sites operated by the university and organizations with an approved educational affiliation with the University may also qualify as on-campus employment. If you are unsure if an off-campus employment opportunity meets the definition of on-campus employment, please meet with an international student advisor prior to beginning work.

Maximum Hours Per Week

You may work on campus part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during the regular academic year, and full-time (more than 20 hours per week) during the summer vacation term* and university breaks. You should speak to your supervisor about the expected number of hours you will be working each week to ensure you do not exceed the maximum limit. Graduate teaching and research assistantships are considered on-campus employment and count towards the maximum limit you may work.

* If summer quarter is your final quarter of studies and you have been authorized to drop below full-time status, you may only work part-time during the quarter since summer would not be considered a vacation term in this situation.

How to Find On-Campus Employment

The Office of Human Resources maintains a list of current employment opportunities.

Campus offices that that hire student workers include the Ritchie Center, Conference & Event Services, University Libraries, Housing & Residential Education, and the Center for World Languages & Cultures.

Additional Resources

How to Find On-Campus Jobs