The University of Denver desires to see you flourish academically and has many resources available to help you.
One of the first and important lessons that you must learn is to ask for help when you need it. If your professors, academic advisor or international student advisor do not know that you need assistance, they may assume that you are doing well in your classes or that you do not care about your grades.
Requesting help is not a sign of weakness or a lack of intelligence. Many of the difficulties that you face arise from the fact that you are doing something extremely challenging: you are studying in another country with a different educational system and you are learning in English which is probably not your native language.
The Academic Success handout contains information to help you understand the American educational system and how to perform well. The Academic Terms section gives definitions for words you may hear used around campus by other students or professors.
A list of useful University resources is located below. If you are unsure whom to contact for help, please call or email International Student & Scholar Services so that we can direct you to the correct campus office: firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-871-4912.
- Writing Center: A great resource to use at any point in the writing process especially if you are feeling stuck. They offer free writing consultations to allow you to meet one-on-one with their staff.
- Research Center: A great asset when writing a paper. They are able to help you find relevant books and articles for your topic or to help you create a bibliography of your sources.
- Math Center: Offers free, drop-in assistance for Algebra, Trigonometry, Business Calculus, and Calculus I, II and III.
- Student Conduct: Works with students from around the university to help understand the Honor Code, as well as to adjudicate Honor Code violations. Additional information can be found on the Student Conduct website, or feel free to reach out to a member of the Student Conduct staff with specific questions
- Library Research Guide for International Students
- Academic Resources Videos such as how to use PioneerWeb and how to understand your Academic Progress Report.