- PhD, University of Warwick, UK
- MA, Johns Hopkins University Paul Nitze School of Advanced International Studies
- BA, University of Virginia
Research and Expertise
Japan, International Business, International Political Economy, Institutional Change, Social Networks, Organizational Leadership, Law, Business and Politics of Multi-national Corporations, Business History, Japanese Management System, China, Organizational Change, and Economics
- Adjunct professor, University of Denver, Josef Korbel School of International Studies (present)
- Professor, Stockholm School of Economics (Sweden), European Institute of Japanese Studies (2013-present); Research fellow (1994-1998)
- Visiting professor, Keio University (Japan), Graduate School of Law (2010)
- Adjunct professor, Sophia University (Japan), Faculty of Liberal Arts (2008-2009)
- Adjunct professor, Seijo University (Japan), Faculty of Economics (2007-2010)
- Social Science Research Council (USA) & Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (Japan) Post-doctoral Fellowship, Hitotsubashi University (Japan), Graduate School of Economics (2004-2007)
- Visiting professor, China Europe International Business School (CEIBS), Shanghai (2004)
- University of Tokyo, Visiting Professor (Research) at the Center for International Research on the Japanese Economy (CIRJE) (2003-2004)
- Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation Research Grant, Visiting Professor (Research) at the University of Tokyo (2003)
- Japan Foundation Short-term Research Fellowship, Visiting Professor (Research) at the University of Tokyo (2003)
- University of Edinburgh, Research Associate at the Institute for Japanese-European Technology Studies (JETS) (2003-2007)
- Adjunct professor, University of Stirling, School of Modern Languages (2002)
- Japan Foundation Endowment Committee (UK) Research Grant, Visiting Researcher at the Research Institute for Economy Trade and Industry (RIETI) (2001)
- Assistant professor, University of Edinburgh (UK), Business School (2000-2007)
- Harvard University Advanced Research Fellow, Program on US-Japan Relations (1999-2000)
Nelson, P. (2012). The Lisbon Treaty effect: Toward a new EU-Japan economic and trade partnership? Special Issue: EU-Japan Relations, Japan Forum 24(3). 339-368. ISSN 0955-5803.
Nelson, P., & Söderberg, M. (2010). Introduction: Dynamics of change. In M. Söderberg and P.A. Nelson (Eds.), Japan's Politics and Economics: Perspectives on Change (1-18). London: Routledge. ISBN 978-0415547529.
Nelson, P. (2010). Stability and the status quo: Changing power structures in the optics industry. In M. Söderberg and P.A. Nelson (Eds.). Japan's Politics and Economics: Perspectives on Change (161-181). London: Routledge. ISBN 978-0415547529.
Nelson, P. & Söderberg, M. (2010). Conclusion: Perspectives on change. In M. Söderberg and P.A. Nelson (Eds.). Japan's Politics and Economics: Perspectives on Change (200-204). London: Routledge. ISBN 978-0415547529.
Nelson, P. (2009). Canon vol. 1; Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group vol. 3; Mitsui vol. 3; Mizuho Financial Group vol. 3; Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group vol. 3; Tokyo Electric Power vol. 4. In C. Wankel (Ed.). Encyclopedia of Business in Today's World. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc. ISBN 978-1412964272. Winner of 2009 RUSA Outstanding Business Reference; see: http://www.uk.sagepub.com/books/Book232589/title
Nelson, P. & Line, D. (2009). Mountains of money? Asset management in Japan. The Economist Intelligence Unit Special Report (English and Japanese). www.eiu.com/report_dl.asp?mode=fi&fi=584783443.PDF
Nelson, P. (2008). Strategic innovation management and the firm's institutional context. In Santanu Ray (Ed.). Culture of Creativity and Innovation: Concepts, Applications and Cases (138-166). Hyderbad: Icfai University Press. ISBN 978-8131420065.
Nelson, P., Satoh, E., Matsuo K., & Y. Okada (2008). Product development cycles and price dynamics: The Japanese compact digital still camera industry, 1997-2005. CPRC Discussion Paper Series CPRC-35-E, Competition Policy Research Center, Japan Fair Trade Commission, June 2008 www.jftc.go.jp/cprc/DP/CPDP-35-E.pdf