Co-Director of the Center for the Study of Europe and the World
Affiliated with the Sié Chéou-Kang Center for International Security & Diplomacy
Office: 203 Ben M. Cherrington Hall
Josef Korbel School of International Studies
University of Denver
2201 S. Gaylord Street
Denver, CO 80208
- PhD, Cornell University
- MA, Cornell University
- AB, Stanford University
Research and Expertise
International organizations and domestic compliance; postcommunist transition; enlargement of the European Union and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization; European integration; financial sector reform in transition societies; defense industry restructuring and national defense procurement policies.
- Associate Professor of International Political Economy and European Politics, Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver (2002-present)
- Transatlantic Research Fellow, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, European University Institute (2004-2005)
- Expert Advisor on the Review of the Framework for Relations between the European Union and the United States (2005)
- Jean Monnet Post-Doctoral Fellow, Robert Schuman Centre for Advanced Studies, European University Institute (2001-2002)
- Rapporteur, Carnegie Commission on Preventing Deadly Conflict, Carnegie Corporation of New York (1994-1997)
- Research Assistant, Brookings Institution, Washington, DC (1993-1994)
Epstein, R. (2008). In pursuit of liberalism: International institutions in postcommunist Europe. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
Epstein, R. & Sedelmeier, U. (Eds.). (2009). International influence beyond conditionality: Postcommunist Europe after EU enlargement. Routledge.
Epstein, R. (2013). Central and East European Bank responses to the financial crisis: Do domestic banks perform better in a crisis than their foreign-owned counterparts? Europe-Asia Studies, 65(3), 528-547.
Epstein, R. and Johnson, J. (2010). Uneven integration: Economic and monetary union in Central and Eastern Europe. Journal of Common Market Studies, 48(5), 1235 - 1258.
Epstein, R. (2008). The social context in conditionality: Internationalizing finance in postcommunist Europe. Journal of European Public Policy, 15(6), 880-898.
Epstein, R. & Sedelmeier, U. (2008). Beyond conditionality: International institutions in postcommunist Europe after enlargement. Journal of European Public Policy, 15(6), 795-805.
- INTS 4324: Introduction to International Political Economy
- INTS 4327: Advanced Issues in International Political Economy
- INTS 4401: The Historical Origins of the European East-West Divide
- INTS 4403: The Politics of Postcommunist Transition and European Integration
- INTS 3701: The Political Economy of the European Union