**SABBATICAL: Winter 2016**
Office: 308 Ben M. Cherrington Hall
Josef Korbel School of International Studies
University of Denver
2201 South Gaylord Street
Denver, CO 80208
- Advanced Study, Cornell University
- PhD, Harvard University
- MSc, London School of Economics
- BA, Harvard College
Research and Expertise
Democratic theory, international relations theory, social theory, history of political thought, ethics, philosophy of science and social science, slavery and the American Revolution, comparative revolutions, violence and non-violence, democracy and the arts, medieval Islam and Europe.
- John Evans Professor, University of Denver (2001-present)
- Professor, Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver (1990-present), Associate Dean (1988-1989), Assistant Professor (1975-1979)
- Fellow, American Council of Learned Societies (1999-2000)
- Member, School of Social Science, Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton (1992-1993)
- Fellow, American Council of Learned Societies (1989-1990)
Gilbert, A. (2012). Black patriots and loyalists: Fighting for emancipation in the war for independence. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Gilbert, A. (2009). Do philosophers counsel tyrants? Constellations, 16(1), 106–124.
Gilbert, A. (2009). Leo Strauss and the principles of the right: An introduction to Strauss' Letter. Constellations, 16(1), 78–81.
- INTS 4820: Ancient Political Theory
- INTS 4851: Theories of Non-Violence I
- INTS 4852: Theories of Non-Violence II