Office: 208B Ben M. Cherrington Hall
Josef Korbel School of International Studies
University of Denver
2201 South Gaylord Street
Denver, CO 80208
- MPH, Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health
- JD, Columbia University
- BA, Johns Hopkins University
Research and Expertise
Humanitarian health action (including sexual and reproductive health & HIV and AIDS); Humanitarian policy; Sexual violence in humanitarian settings; Civil-military coordination; ethical, safety and methodological issues related to research in humanitarian settings; Gender and humanitarian action.
- Clinical Associate Professor and Director of the Humanitarian Assistance program, Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver (2011-present)
- Technical Officer World Health Organization, Geneva Switzerland (2004-2011)
- Senior Research Associate Physicians for Human Rights USA, Boston MA (2001-2004)
Cottingham J, García-Moreno C, Reis C. (2008). Sexual and reproductive health in conflict areas: the imperative to address violence against women. BJOG, 115(3), 301-3.
Reis C. (2005). Addressing sexual violence in emergencies. Humanitarian Exchange, 32, 32-33, http://www.odihpn.org/report.asp?id=2768.
Reis C, Heisler M, Amowitz LL, Moreland R., Mafeni JO, et al. (2005). Discriminatory attitudes and practices by health workers toward Patients with HIV/AIDS in nigeria. PLoS Med 2(8), e246 http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.0020246
Reis C., Ahmed AT, Amowitz LL, Kushner AL, Elahi M., Iacopino V. Physician participation in human rights abuses in Southern Iraq. JAMA 2004, 291, 1480-1486.
Amowitz LL, Kim G., Reis C., Asher JL, Iacopino V. (2004) Human rights abuses and concerns about women's health and human rights. JAMA, 291, 1471-1479.
Amowitz LL, Reis C., Iacopino V. (2002). Maternal mortality in herat province, Afghanistan, in 2002: An indicator of women's human rights. JAMA, 288, 1284-1291.
Amowitz LL, Reis C., Lyons KH, Vann B., Mansaray B., Akinsulure-Smith AM, Taylor L., Iacopino V. (2002). Prevalence of war-related sexual violence and other human rights abuses among internally displaced persons in Sierra Leone. JAMA, 287, 513-521.
- INTS 4492 Health and Humanitarian Aid
- INTS 4483 Practical Applications in Global Health
- INTS 4056 Information Management in Humanitarian Crises
- INTS 4581 Humanitarian Systems and Policies