Senior Scientist at the Frederick S. Pardee Center for International Futures
Office: 178 Frederick S. Pardee Center for International Futures
Ben M. Cherrington Hall
University of Denver
2201 South Gaylord Street
Denver, CO 80208
- PhD, Cornell University
- SB, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Research and Expertise
Environment and development, ecological economics, systems analysis, scenario analysis, computer simulation.
- Associate Professor, Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver (2009-present); Senior Scientist, Frederick S. Pardee Center for International Futures; Research Associate and Adjunct Faculty (2007-2009)
- Senior Researcher and Associate, International Institute for Sustainable Development (Canada) (2006-present)
- Senior Researcher, Macaulay Institute (UK) (2003-2006)
- Senior Scientist, International Centre for Integrative Studies, University of Maastricht (Netherlands) (2000-2003)
- Assistant Professor, Columbia University Biosphere 2 Center (1998-2000)
- Research Associate and NSERC Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of British Columbia and Environment Canada (1995-1998)
- Research Associate, World Resources Institute (2003-2005)
- Assistant Environmental and Resource Economist, Argonne National Laboratory (1987-1989)
- Environmental Engineer, US. EPA Motor Vehicle Laboratory (1984-1985), Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver.
Rothman, D., van Bers, C., Bakkes, J., & Pahl-Wostl, C. (2009). How to make global assessments more effective: Lessons from the assessment community. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 1(2), 214-218.
Newig, J., Haberl, H., Pahl-Wostl, C & Rothman, D. (2008). Formalised and non-formalised methods in resource management — knowledge and social learning in participatory processes: An introduction. Systemic Practice and Action Research, 21(6), 380-388.
Svarstad, H., Petersen, L.K., Rothman, D., Siepel, H., & Wätzold, F. (2008). The environmental research framework DPSIR and biodiversity discourse types. Land Use Policy, 25(1), 116 - 125.
Patel, M., Kok, K & Rothman, D. (2007). Participatory scenario construction in land use analysis: An insight into the experiences and opportunities created by stakeholder involvement in the Northern Mediterranean. Land Use Policy, 24(3), 546-561.
- INTS 4396: Environment, Development and Human Well-Being
- INTS 4575: Systems Thinking for the Social Scientist