The Major Episodes of Contention (MEC) data project will identify major episodes of mass nonviolent, violent, and "mixed" contention from 1945-present, with annual updates, so that researchers can better understand the origins and outcomes of contentious behavior.
MEC Project Sponsors
The research described in this project was sponsored by the Political Instability Task Force (PITF). The PITF is funded by the Central Intelligence Agency. The views expressed herein are the Principal Investigators’ alone and do not represent the views of the US Government.
- Erica Chenoweth, Principal Investigator and Associate Professor, Josef Korbel School of International Studies
- Joel Day, Research Fellow and PhD Student
- Pauline Moore, Research Fellow and PhD Student
- Jonathan Gonzalez, Student Research Assistant
- Kyleanne Hunter, Student Research Assistant and Sié Fellow
- Diane Metzger, Student Research Assistant
- Jonathan Pinckney, Student Research Assistant and Sié Fellow
- Nicole Stauch, Student Research Assistant