Beyond the academic classroom, the Environmental Sustainability LLC offers a number of programs. Many take place in our outdoor classroom: the Colorado Rocky Mountains! We offer:
- Retreats that involve trail restoration in the Mt. Evans Wilderness Area, overnights at DU's Mt. Evans field station, exploring snow science, cross country skiing at the Keystone Science School, and whitewater rafting on the Arkansas River.
- Community engagement projects on and off campus as well as service opportunities with organizations like the DU Center for Sustainability, Colorado Fourteeners Initiative, and Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado. These organizations focus on the environmental challenges in our local region.
- Site tours of local organizations and businesses promoting sustainability such as the Alliance Center, the Growhaus, and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Events with guest speakers who are making an impact in Denver and other communities in the area of environmental sustainability and social change.
- Opportunities to engage in student-driven sustainability efforts across campus and in the surrounding Denver community
Filmed by Taylor Johaneman, ESLLC 2015-2016
Green Guidance: WHAT WERE THE MOST MEMORABLE MOMENTS FROM YOUR EXPERIENCE IN THE ESLLC?
- I most enjoyed the experiential learning field trips and retreats which engaged students on and off campus. I loved seeing sustainability in action!
- I think it is great how we are always encouraged to get involved on campus by attending speakers, events and programs that pertain to sustainability.
- I love that we are able to engage in projects that we feel are important to our campus and Denver. WE are also so privileged to go on field trips and retreats that are incredible fun, interesting, and important for our futures.