When the 1913-1914 strike ended in December 1914, the miners and their families left the strikers' colonies. Many returned to the mines. The companies blacklisted others, forcing the miners to move to other areas or other occupations. However, the site of the Ludlow strikers' colony did not remain empty. The United Mine Workers purchased the site in 1916. Since this time it has served as grazing pasture and a memorial.