Nov. 10, 2011—University of Denver officials are very concerned about the assaults that have occurred near the DU campus over the past few months.
The safety of students, faculty and staff is always a high priority. We are also concerned for the safety of our neighbors living near the campus.
The assault investigation is being led by the Denver Police Department (DPD). DU's Campus Safety department is assisting with the investigation, but their authority does not extend off-campus and no assaults have occurred on campus.
Campus Safety officials will be stepping up patrols around the DU campus, including increasing the number of patrols on nearby streets. Our officers are acting as additional "eyes and ears" for DPD and immediately notify the department if anything suspicious is seen.
As always, Campus Safety officers also are closely watching the campus itself in an attempt to safeguard everyone who studies, works or visits DU.
SAFETY AND SECURITY TIPS to decrease your chances of becoming a victim.
1. Stay alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
2. Use the buddy system and walk with others and or utilize the D.U. Shuttle to transit campus.
3. Carry your cell phone when walking across campus. Program the D. U. emergency number (303-871-3000) and 911 into your cell phone. Also make note of the Emergency (blue-light) phones on campus.
4. If you are being followed, cross the street or change direction and head for a well-lit and/or populated area such as a residence hall, office building or store.
5. Enroll in a Campus Safety sponsored R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense) class. For additional R.A.D. information, refer to www.du.edu/campussafety and www-rad-systems.com.
6. Safety whistles are available at the Campus Safety Center.
7. Report suspicious or unusual activity to Camus Safety immediately.
Anyone with information regarding this case or the identity of the suspect in this case is asked to contact: Denver Police, 720-913-2000. At DU contact: Campus Safety Investigator, Albert Monger, 303-871-4226, email@example.com; Campus Safety Investigator, Billy Cardenas, 303-871-6803, firstname.lastname@example.org; or the Anonymous Tip-Line, 303-871-3130.