Skip navigation

Division of Natural Sciences & MathematicsDepartment of Biological Sciences

Integrated Sciences

Undergraduate Majors

Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Integrated Sciences

See detailed requirements in the undergraduate bulletin:

Integrated Sciences is an interdisciplinary major for the student who desires general preparation for a graduate program with specific prerequisites (egs., teaching, allied healthcare or other science-related fields). Each student designs a unique baccalaureate program to meet his or her needs in consultation with a faculty advisor from the Department of Biological Sciences.

Summary of Required Courses

  • Major Coursework: 60 qtr hrs of course work selected from Biological Sciences, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Engineering, Physics, Geography, Computer Science, or Mathematics with at least 20 qtr hrs selected from two different departments.  Thirty of the 60 qtr hrs must be upper division courses (2xxx level or above).
  • Mathematics/statistics: at least 8 qtr hrs

Additional Requirements and Notes

All undergraduate majors must satisfy Common Curriculum requirements.

ASSESSMENT - All Biology majors will participate in program assessment activities in their first year (knowledge pre-test) and in their last quarter at DU (knowledge post-test, Senior survey, and digital submission of an example of their best work in Biology).  During the BIOL experience at DU, plan to keep digital copies of your best works (could be advanced lab, research project, analysis paper, challenging exam, or other work) for self-evaluation and submission into the Assess-It system before graduation.

Advanced Placement (AP) credit for Calculus AB or Calculus BC may count toward the MATH 195x series for either the BA or the BS according to the University approval policy (see the University of Denver Undergraduate Bulletin for details). Approval through the Department of Mathematics is required.

The BA in Integrated Sciences does NOT require a minor.

No more than 5 hrs of BIOL 3991 Independent Study and/or BIOL 3950 Undergraduate Research may count toward the minimum required hours for the major.

To declare a major or minor fill out and submit an Application to declare Major/Minor to the Registrar's Office.