News & Highlights
- Undergraduate Student Sam Alperin Discusses twisted light
- Prof. Dinah Loerke and Mark Siemens promoted to tenure
- Graduate student Devin Wesenberg won the best poster award at the Magnetic North Conference
- Graduate student Devin Wesenberg and Professor Barry Zink's work gets published in Nature Energy
- DU stratospheric atlas is included in the HITRAN international spectroscopy database
- Undergraduate Student Cameron Hickert named to the inaugural class of Schwarzman Scholars
- Graduate student Alex Hojem won the best poster award at the first Front Range Advanced Magnetism Symposium
- Society of Physics Students wins the prestigious 2015 Blake Lilly Prize for physics outreach
- Undergraduate Student Cameron Hickert awarded the prestigious Truman Scholarship
- Prof. Robert Stencel to deliver the first Herbert Howe Lecture in Astronomy
Our DepartmentThe Department of Physics and Astronomy combines a tradition of individualized instruction with a contemporary research focus. We have a young and dynamic faculty whose innovative research programs include astronomy and astrophysics, biophysics, and condensed matter physics. We provide an attentive, hands-on research and learning environment for undergraduate and graduate students up to the PhD level.
DU physics and astronomy students have recently received the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, the National Young Astronomer Award, and the Rhodes Scholarship. Recent BS graduates have gone on to graduate study in prestigious physics programs at Dartmouth, Berkeley, and Harvard and obtained employment at national laboratories such as NIST and Space Telescope Science Institute. Recent PhD graduates have gone on to postdoctoral positions at NASA and the Max-Planck Institut für Radioastronomie, and joined the staff of Intel.
We were excited to host the 2013 Four Corners Section Meeting of the American Physical Society on October 18 and 19 in Denver, featuring presentations by four Nobel Laureates as well as a variety of sessions in different areas of physics.