News & Highlights
- DU P&A Professor Emeritus, Aharon Goldman, recognized by Thomson Reuters
- DU P&A Professor Davor Balzar to join the team to bring cutting-edge cancer treatment to Colorado
- DU P&A Professor Dinah Loerke won the prestigious Cottrell Scholar Award
- DU P&A Student Rachael Tomasino talks about lunar eclipse on WeatherNation
- DU P&A Promotes equal opportunities
Our DepartmentThe Department of Physics and Astronomy combines a tradition of individualized instruction with a contemporary research focus. We have a young and dynamic faculty whose innovative research programs include astronomy and astrophysics, biophysics, and condensed matter physics. We provide an attentive, hands-on research and learning environment for undergraduate and graduate students up to the PhD level.
DU physics and astronomy students have recently received the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, the National Young Astronomer Award, and the Rhodes Scholarship. Recent BS graduates have gone on to graduate study in prestigious physics programs at Dartmouth, Berkeley, and Harvard and obtained employment at national laboratories such as NIST and Space Telescope Science Institute. Recent PhD graduates have gone on to postdoctoral positions at NASA and the Max-Planck Institut für Radioastronomie, and joined the staff of Intel.
We were excited to host the 2013 Four Corners Section Meeting of the American Physical Society on October 18 and 19 in Denver, featuring presentations by four Nobel Laureates as well as a variety of sessions in different areas of physics. For more information, see the APS 4CS 2013 website.