We were saddened to learn of the recent loss of one of our physics majors, Nickolas Williams. Nickolas was a double major in mathematics and had been working on his senior thesis in protein folding with Dr. Kingshuk Ghosh. Upon his passing, he was awarded his dual BS degree. Nickolas was an intelligent, charismatic, and compassionate young man who was an important part of our department. We miss him greatly and extend our heartfelt sympathies to his family and friends.
Physics professor Kingshuk Ghosh and astronomy professor Jennifer Hoffman granted tenure
The Physics & Astronomy department welcomes two new tenured professors, Dr. Kingshuk Ghosh and Dr. Jennifer Hoffman. Dr. Ghosh, a theoretical biophysicist, joined the department in 2008 and was recently awarded an NSF CAREER grant for cutting-edge work on thermophilic proteins. Dr. Hoffman is an astronomer who uses both observational and computational techniques to study circumstellar material around massive stars and supernovae. She has been a member of the department since 2007.
DU P&A congratulates the class of 2013!
The following outstanding students received physics degrees in 2013:
- Alaa Bahamran (MS, Siemens): Physics Ph.D. program, University of Denver
- Gail Cotterill (BS, Zink)
- Alexa Hart (Ph.D., Stencel)
- Megan Hess (BA)
- Xin Jiang (Ph.D., Shaheen, Summer 2013)
- Jamie Lomax (Ph.D., Hoffman, Summer 2013): Postdoctoral position, University of Oklahoma
- Michael Malatesta (BS, Hoffman, Fall 2012): Astrophysics Ph.D. program, University of Oklahoma
- Stephen Ray (Ph.D., Shaheen, Summer 2013)
- Ajaya Sigdel (Ph.D., Shaheen): Intel Corporation
- Matthew Westacott (MS, Loerke)
- Nickolas Williams (BS, Shaheen)