The Direct Pay Request is used by all departments to process for payment certain current expenditures that are not required to be processed on a standard purchase order or field order. The types of expenditures to be processed on a standard direct pay request are:
- Travel and Conference (registration fees, transportation, lodging, meals, etc.)
- Reimbursement of petty cash funds
- Membership Dues (allowable in civic, business, technical and professional organizations)
- Advertising (generally not an allowable cost on a research fund)
- Honorarium Payments / Speaker Fees
- Entertainment (generally not an allowable cost on a research fund)
- Program materials under $300 (must be part of the research fund approved contract)
- Business Meals (The IRS considers business meals as entertainment. All receipts for a business meal must include who was present, purpose of meal, date of meal and why the meeting could not have taken place at a non-meal time)
- Donations and Contributions (generally not an allowable cost on a research fund)
Adequate documentation for the expense such as invoices, original receipts or registration forms should be attached to the voucher.
The ORSP accounting staff will review all direct pay requests to insure that the expense is allowable and in compliance with the terms and conditions of the grant/contract. If approved, requests are forwarded to accounts payable for payment.