Education on the Protection of Human Research Participants
Education on the protection of human research participants is required for all "key personnel" on research involving human subjects at the University of Denver.
Key personnel include all individuals responsible for the design and conduct of the study. This includes Principle Investigators, Co-Investigators, Faculty Advisors, Research Assistants, Interviewers, etc.
This requirement applies for all key personnel explained above regardless of funding.
General IRB Education Requirement :
The University of Denver provides access to the required training through an interactive online tutorial, the CITI (Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative) Course in the Protection of Human Research Subjects.
Below are the instructions for enrolling for the online Human Research Protection Certification exam. You may find printing these instructions helpful in order to refer to them while enrolling.
1) Go to http://www.citiprogram.org
2) If you have never used CITI before, enroll as "New User" by clicking on "Register Here".
(If you have completed the required CITI training at another institution within the past 4 years, you may be able to log into your existing account and add the University of Denver as an "Affiliated Institution." For help with this process, please feel free to contact the DU Research Compliance Office at 303-871-4050/2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
3) Complete Registration. (Please make sure that in Step 1, under "Participating Institutions," you enter the University of Denver as your affiliated institution)
4) Select a Learner Group. Most DU personnel will check the box in Section 1 for "SBER Research Investigators" (as seen below). The only exception is for individuals that are conducting Biomedical Research. If you are unsure which box to select, please contact the DU Research Compliance Office (303-871-4050/2 or email email@example.com).
5) Once you have completed the registration process you should be take to your "Main Menu" page. Under "My Courses" you should see the "SBER Research Investigators: Basic Course." If this is not the course that is listed on your main page, contact the DU Research Compliance Office before proceeding.
6) Read each module and complete the quizzes at the end of each section. You may stop and resume at any time. Once you have completed and passed each section, you may print a copy of the completion certificate for your records. You do not need to submit documentation to the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
According to DU policy, this training expires every four years. When this expiration is approaching a refresher course should appear under "My Courses." It is your responsibility to ensure that your training does not expire and that you are compliant with DU policy for the duration of your involvement in research involving human subjects at the University of Denver.