Eligibility for Principal Investigator Status
Principal Investigator status is granted to:
- Faculty members of all types, including emeriti
- Volunteer faculty – specially designated and approved by department
- Research scientists and research associates
- Post-doctoral fellows and dissertation awards (faculty member must be co-PI)
- University staff who hold director-level administrative positions
Adjuncts, Assistant Directors, and other professional staff may be eligible for Principal Investigator status in certain circumstances as described below. Visiting scholars will not be granted Principal Investigator status under any circumstances. Student investigators are not eligible for Principal Investigator status, but may be permitted to conduct sponsored projects under the direction of a faculty advisor.