Friday, February 5, 2016
Pricing: Community Professionals: $225 , DU Faculty, Alumni, & Supervisors: $175 , DU Students: $100
Lunch provided for conference attendees.
The Center for Professional Development and the Graduate School for Professional Psychology is proud to present Couples Interventions 2016, an interactive workshop on best practices and modern innovations in the field.
Join us at Sturm Hall, 2000 East Asbury Avenue on the University of Denver Campus
Discussion panelists include:
Barbara Dausch, Ph.D.
Director of the VA Recovery and Couple & Family Psychology program and VA national consultant for Integrated Behavioral Couple Therapy
Carla Leone, Ph.D.
Director of North Suburban Family Psychologists
Howard Markman, Ph.D.
a John Evans Scholar and Distinguished Professor Psychology at the University of Denver and Co-director of the Center for Marital and Family Studies.
Tina Pittman-Wagers, MSW, Psy.D.
a licensed clinical psychologist, CU Boulder’s Department of Psychology and Neuroscience faculty, and an alumna the DU Graduate School of Professional Psychology.
Galena Rhoades, Ph.D.
Research Associate Professor in the Psychology Department at the University of Denver.
Shelly Smith-Acuna, Ph.D.
Dean of the Graduate School of Professional Psychology at the University of Denver
Scott Stanely, Ph.D.
Co-director of the Center for Marital and Family Studies at the University of Denver
Jim Thomas, L.M.F.T.
Licensed marriage and family therapist, director Emeritus of the Denver Family Institute and a Past-President of the Colorado Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
View the Couples Interventions 2016 Agenda
8-8:30 - Registration, breakfast, and mingling
8:30 – 9:00 – Welcome and overview to day – “Couple Interventions 2016 – State of the Art and Science” Shelly Smith-Acuna, Ph.D.
9:00 – 10:15 – Keynote panel 1 – Theory and research on best practices in couple therapy
1. Relationship Education: A Preventive Approach to Relationship Help- Galena Rhoades, Ph.D.
2. Toward Mutual Selfobject Experience: The Application of Contemporary Self Psychology to Couples Therapy- Carla Leone, Ph.D.
3. Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy- Jim Thomas, L.M.F.T.
10:15– 10:30 – Break - Refreshments provided
10:30 – 11:30 – Keynote panel 2 – Special populations and problems
1. Special Issues and Interventions with Veterans - Barbara Dausch, Ph.D.
2. In, Out, or On the Fence: Working with Commitment - Jesse Owen, Ph.D. and Scott Stanley, Ph.D.
3. In sickness and in health: Working with Medically-Involved Couples- Tina Pittman Wagers, MSW, Psy.D.
11:45 – 1 - Lunch time discussion groups – Box lunch provided. Participants choose discussion groups
1:15– 2:45 – Workshop sessions
1. How Concepts from Self Psychology can Enhance Couples Therapy- Carla Leone, Ph.D.
2. The PREP Approach: Marrying Couples Therapy and Relationship Education Within a Cognitive-Behavioral Perspective- Howard Markman, Ph.D.
3. Diagnosing and Treating Couples Based on Understanding How Commitment Developed and How it Fluctuates- Scott Stanley, Ph.D. & Jesse Owen, Ph.D.
4. Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT) Skills- Jim Thomas, L.M.F.T.
5. Skills and Strategies for Working with Medically-Involved Couples - Tina Pittman Wagers, MSW, Psy.D.
6. Integrative Behavioral Couples Therapy with Military Populations: Current Practices - Barbara Dausch, Ph.D.
2:45 – 3:00 – Break - Refreshments provided
3:00 – 4:30 – Workshop sessions – same as above, each session run both times
4:45 – 5:30 – Public lecture and reception*
- The Top Three Things you can do to Improve your Relationship – Shelly Smith-Acuna, Ph.D.
- Sliding vs. Deciding: Helping Teens and Young Adults Achieve Relationship Success- Scott Stanley, Ph.D.
5:30 - 7:00 - Community Reception*
- Refreshments provided.
*Afternoon presentations and reception free and open to public.
This conference is approved for 5.5 CE. The Graduate School of Professional Psychology is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Graduate School of Professional Psychology maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Need a ride home from the free reception? Have one on us!
Download Lyft app, in Payments tab insert code:
*Code Valid for new Lyft Users Only
*This code does not expire.