Grants and Publications
Spanish Government Research Agency
"Development of depression in adolescents: Contributions from a transactional perspective of cognitive vulnerability and gender differences."
Basque Government Research Agency
"Cognitive specificity to depression and social anxiety in adolescence."
American Psychological Foundation
"Preschool Stress Reactivity and Later Physical and Mental Health."
National Institute of Mental Health
"Genetic, Cognitive, and Interpersonal Vulnerabilities to Depression in Youth."
Canadian Institutes for Health Research
"Cognitive and Interpersonal Vulnerability to Depression during the
Transition from Middle to Late Adolescence."
American Psychological Association’s Distinguished Scientific Award for Early Career Contribution to Psychopathology (shared with Matthew Nock of Harvard University)
Distinguished Undergraduate Research Mentor Award, University of South Carolina
President’s New Researcher Award, Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy
- Professional Activities
- NIH Grant Review: Panel member of Psychosocial Development, Risk, and Prevention (PRDP)
- Associate Editor, Frontiers in Neuroscience - Child and Neurodevelopmental Psychiatry
- Editorial board, Development and Psychopathology
Associate Editor, Cognitive Therapy and Research
Editorial board, Child Clinical and Family Psychology Review
Editorial board, Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology
- Editorial board, Journal of Abnormal Psychology
- Editorial board, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology
Editorial board, Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology
Editorial board, Cognitive Therapy and Research
- Abela, J.R.Z. and Hankin, B.L. (Eds). (2008). Handbook of Child and Adolescent Depression. New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Hankin, B.L. and Abela, J.R.Z. (Eds). (2005). Development of Psychopathology: A Vulnerability-Stress Perspective. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publishing.
- Recent Publications
(Note: Students' names are in italics)
- Jenness, J., Hankin, B.L., Abela, J.R.Z., Young, J.F., and Smolen, A. (2011). Chronic family stress interacts with 5-HTTLPR to predict prospective depressive symptoms among youth. Depression and Anxiety.
- Abela, J.R.Z., Stolow, D., Mineka, S., Yao, S., Zhu, X.X., and Hankin, B.L. (in press). Cognitive vulnerability to depressive symptoms in urban and rural Hunan, China: A multi-wave longitudinal study. Journal of Abnormal Psychology.
- Hankin, B.L., Wetter, E.K., and Flory, K. (in press). Appetitive motivation and negative emotion reactivity among remitted depressed youth. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology.
- Wu., W., Lu., Y., Tan, F., Yao, S., Steca, P., Abela, J.R.Z., and Hankin, B.L. (in press). Assessing Measurement Invariance of the Children’s Depression Inventory in Chinese and Italian primary school student Samples. Assessment.
- Badanes, L.S., Watamura, S.E., and Hankin, B.L. (2011). Hypocortisolism as a potential marker of allostatic load in children: Associations with family risk and internalizing disorders. Development and Psychopathology, 23, 881-896. PMID: 21756439
- Stone, L.B., Hankin, B.L., Gibb, B.E., and Abela, J.R.Z. (2011). Co-rumination predicts the onset of depressive disorders during adolescence. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 120, 752-757. PMID: 21500877
- Abela, J.R.Z., Hankin, B.L., Sheshko, D.M., Fishman, M.B., and Stolow, D. (in press). Multi-wave Prospective Examination of the Stress Reactivity Extension of Response Styles Theory of Depression in High-Risk Children and Early Adolescents. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology.
- Abela, J.R.Z., and Hankin, B.L. (2011). Rumination as a vulnerability factor to depression during the transition from early to middle adolescence: A multi-wave longitudinal study. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 120, 259-271. PMID: 21553940
- Hankin, B.L., Jenness, J., Abela, J.R.Z., and Smolen, A. (2011). Interaction of 5HTTLPR and idiographic stressors predicts prospective depressive symptoms specifically among youth in a multi-wave study. Journal of Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychology, 40, 572-585. PMID: 21722029
- Flancbaum, M., Oppenheimer, C.W., Abela, J.R.Z., Young, J., Stolow, D., and Hankin, B.L. (2011). The effects of rumination on the timing of maternal and child depressive symptoms. Journal of Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychology, 40, 596-606. PMID: 21722031
- Oppenheimer, C. and Hankin, B.L. (2011). Relationship quality and depressive symptoms among adolescents: An investigation of longitudinal, reciprocal associations. Journal of Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychology, 40, 486-493. PMID: 21534059
- Barrocas, A.L., and Hankin, B.L. (2011). Developmental pathways to depression in adolescence: A multi-wave prospective study of negative emotionality, stress, and anxiety. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 39, 489-500. PMID: 21249517
- Barrocas, A.L., Jenness, J.L., Davis, T.S., Oppenheimer, C.W., Technow, J.R., Gulley, L.D., Badanes, L.S., and Hankin B.L. (2011). Developmental perspectives on vulnerability for non-suicidal self-injury in youth. In J. Benson (Ed.), Advances in Child Development and Behavior. London: Elsevier, 40, 301-336.
- Hankin, B.L., Barrocas, A.L., Jenness, J., Oppenheimer, C., Badanes, L.S., Abela, J.R.Z., and Smolen, A. (2011). Association between 5HTTLPR and borderline personality disorder traits among youth. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 1, 2-6. PMID: 21556276
- Hankin, B.L. and Abela, J.R.Z. (2011). Nonsuicidal self injury in adolescence: Prospective risk factors in a 2 ½ year longitudinal study. Psychiatry Research. PMID: 2080766
- Hankin, B.L., Badanes, L.S., Abela, J.R.Z., and Watamura, S.E. (2010). Hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis dysregulation in dysphoric children and adolescents: Cortisol reactivity to psychological stress from preschool through middle adolescence. Biological Psychiatry, 68, 484-490. PMID: 2049790
- Hankin, B.L., Gibb, B.E., Abela, J.R.Z., and Flory, K. (2010). Selective attention to affective stimuli and clinical depression among youth: Role of comorbid anxiety and specificity of emotion. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 119, 491-501. PMID: 20677838
- Hankin, B.L., Stone, L.B., and Wright, P.A. (2010). Co-rumination, interpersonal stress generation, and internalizing symptoms: Sex differences and transactional influences in a multi-wave study of adolescents. Development and Psychopathology, 22, 217-235. PMID: 20102657
- Hankin, B.L. (2010). Personality and depression: Examining cognitive vulnerability and stress as mediating processes in a prospective daily diary study. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 29, 369-402.
- Lee, A., Hankin, B.L., and Mermelstein, R.J. (2010). Perceived social competence, negative interactions and negative cognitions predict depressive symptoms during adolescence. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 39, 603-615. PMID: 2070691
- Holm-Denoma, J.M. and Hankin, B.L. (2010). Physical Appearance Competence as a Mediator of the Rumination and Bulimic Symptom Link in Female Adolescents. Journal of Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychology, 39, 537-544. PMID: 20589564
- Shapero, B.G. and Hankin, B.L. (2010). Stress in adolescence: An examination of theories and methods. In P. Heidenreich and I. Pruter (Eds.), Stress: Causes,
Effects and Control. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers.