- Genetic Influences on Individual Differences in Reading & Listening Comprehension
- Component Comprehension Skills and Their Genetic Covariation
- Cognitive and Genetic Basis of Comorbidity between Comprehension Deficit Disorder, Reading Disability and ADHD
- Compensatory Mechanisms for Children with Reading Disability: Domain Knowledge Influences
- Assessment: How Test Differences Affect Both Clinical Diagnoses and Genetic Analyses of Language Deficits
• Keenan, J. M., & Meenan, C. E. (in press). Test differences in diagnosing reading comprehension deficits. Journal of Learning Disabilities. NIHMSID 351467
• Keenan, J.M. (2014). Assessment of reading comprehension. In C. A. Stone, E. R. Silliman, B. J. Ehren, & G. P. Wallach (Eds.), Handbook of Language and Literacy: Development and Disorders (2nd Edition). New York: Guilford Press.
• Miller, A.C., Keenan, J.M., Betjemann, R.S., Pennington, B.F. Willcutt, E., & Olson, R.K. (2013). Reading comprehension in children with ADHD: cognitive underpinnings of the centrality deficit. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 41, 473-483.
• Elwér, Å., Keenan, J.M., Olson, R.K., Byrne, B., Samuelsson, S. (2013). Longitudinal stability and predictors of poor oral comprehenders and poor decoders. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 115, 497–516.
• Keenan, J. M. (2012). Measure for measure: Challenges in assessing reading comprehension. In J. Sabatini, E. Albro, & T. O’Reilly (Eds.), Measuring Up: Advances in How We Assess Reading Ability. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
• Christopher, M.E., Miyake, A., Keenan, J.M., Pennington, B.F., DeFries, J.C., Wadsworth, S.J., Willcutt, E., & Olson, R.K. (2012). Predicting word reading and comprehension with executive function and speed measures across development: A latent variable analysis. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 141, 470-488.
• Miller, A. C., & Keenan, J. M. (2011). "Understanding the centrality deficit: insight from foreign language learners." Memory & Cognition, 39, 873-883.
• Olson, R. K., Keenan, J.M., (2011) "Genetic and environmental influences on vocabulary and reading development from pre-kindergarten through Grade 4." Scientific Studies of Reading, 15, 26–46.
• Betjemann, R. S., Keenan, J. M., Olson, R.K., & DeFries, J.R. (2011). "Choice of reading comprehension test influences the outcomes of genetic analyses." Scientific Studies of Reading, 15, 363 – 382.
• Miller, A. C., & Keenan, J. M. (2009). "How word decoding skill impacts text memory: The centrality deficit and how domain knowledge can compensate." Annals of Dyslexia, 59, 99 – 113.
• Keenan, J. M., Betjemann, R. S., & Olson, R.K. (2008). "Reading comprehension tests vary in the skills they assess: Differential dependence on decoding and oral comprehension." Scientific Studies of Reading, 12, 281 – 300.
• Keenan, J. M., & Betjemann, R. S. (2006). "Comprehending the Gray Oral Reading Test without reading it: Why comprehension tests should not include passage-independent items." Scientific Studies of Reading, 10, 363 – 380.
• Keenan, J. M., Betjemann, R. S., Wadsworth, S. J., DeFries, J. C., & Olson, R.K. (2006). "Genetic and environmental influences on reading and listening comprehension." Journal of Research in Reading, 29, 79 – 91.