Skip navigation
Risk Management Banner

Insurance Claims

Automotive Liability

Review the Driving Policy for information regarding training requirements, accident reporting, and driver eligibility.

The University of Denver insures all DU owned, leased, and rented vehicles.


If you plan to drive a DU owned or leased vehicle, or rent a vehicle for DU related business you must take the Defensive Driving course.  Please see the Employee Tab in webCentral for additional information and registration.

Report Auto Claims Within 24 Hours

In case of ANY collision involving a University vehicle

  • Call the local police and obtain from other driver:
    • Full name, address, phone number
    • Driver’s license(state, number, date of birth)
    • Insurance company information and policy #
    • Vehicle license plate, make, model, VIN and damage
  • Give to other driver
    • DU insurance information
    • DU Risk Management contact and phone number
  • Call DU Campus Safety immediately if on campus at 303-871-3000; if off campus call once you arrive at a safe location at 303-871-2334
  • Call DU Risk Management within 24 hours at 303-871-2354 regardless of the extent of damage

Rental Vehicles

If you are renting a car we encourage you to take all the insurance per Board Approved Policy.  A description of the typical coverages is below:

Types of Coverage offered by the rental car company:

Type of Coverage


Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)

Coverage for damage to the rental car

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) Coverage

Provides renter and passengers with accidental death, accident medical expense, and ambulance expense benefits

Supplemental Liability Protection (SLP)

Responds to 3rd party accident claims that result from bodily injury and property damage that arise from the use or operation of the rental vehicle

International Rental

If traveling internationally take all the rental car insurance.