DU Smoke-Free Policy
Effective Jan. 1, 2010
In response to public health concerns related to second-hand smoke from tobacco products, it shall be the policy of the University that smoking will not be allowed in either indoor or outdoor areas of the campus. This smoking ban does not apply to public rights-of-way (sidewalks, streets) on the perimeter of the campus. Because of the high traffic of visitors to the University at the Newman Center for the Performing Arts and the Ritchie Center for Sports and Wellness, the University will establish designated areas outside of these venues where smoking will be permitted. These areas will be located at least 25 feet from the perimeter of these buildings.
- The University of Denver is a 100 percent smoke-free campus, meaning the use of smoking products is prohibited on all university owned and operated campus grounds both indoors and outdoors.
- The University will establish designated areas outside of The Newman Center for the Performing Arts and the Ritchie Center where smoking will be permitted. These areas will be located at least 25 feet from the perimeter of each building. Note: The Ritchie Center will only have a designated smoking area during events.
- Smoking products include but are not limited to all cigarette products (cigarettes, bidis, kreteks, etc.) and all smoke-producing products (cigars, pipes, hookahs, etc.).
- University-owned and operated campus grounds include but are not limited to all outdoor common and educational areas, all university buildings, fraternities and sororities, university-owned on-campus housing, campus sidewalks, campus parking lots, recreational areas, outdoor stadiums and university-owned and leased vehicles (regardless of location). This smoking ban does not apply to public rights-of-way (sidewalks, streets) on the perimeter of the campus.
- In keeping with University policy, it is our guidance that the sale, distribution, and sampling of all tobacco products and tobacco-related merchandise is prohibited on all university owned and operated property and at university-sponsored events.
- It is our guidance that the sponsorship of university associations and/or university events by organizations that promote tobacco use is prohibited. Additionally, the advertisement of tobacco products on university-owned and operated property or at university events is prohibited.
- This policy applies to all employees, students, visitors, contractors and external individuals or companies renting university-owned space on university owned and operated property campus grounds.
Official Policy (PDF | 32k)