The Western Colorado MSW Program is designed to increase the availability of social work resources and services in rural and mountain communities located in western Colorado, including Eagle, Garfield, Grand, Gunnison, Pitkin, Mesa, Montrose and Summit Counties. Our offices and classrooms are located in Glenwood Springs, so you can earn your MSW degree from the University of Denver in, or near, your home community.The Western Colorado MSW tuition rate is lower than that paid by students on the Denver campus, and we offer a weekend schedule of Friday afternoon and Saturday classes to accommodate the needs of working adults.
The Graduate School of Social Work at the University of Denver accepts applications for the Western Colorado MSW Program until the class is full. The deadline for the two-year MSW program starting the fall of 2015 is June 1. However, prospective students are encouraged to apply as early as possible for optimal consideration.
- Two-Year Program—The next cohort of two-year students will begin the Western Colorado MSW Program in the fall of 2015.
- Advanced Standing Program—The next cohort of advanced standing students will enter the program in the summer of 2016. The Advanced Standing Program is available only to applicants with a bachelor's degree in social work from a college or university whose social work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) at the time the degree is conferred.
Please Note: Applications for the two-year MSW program are accepted in alternating years. Once the fall 2015 two-year program cohort is full, the next opportunity for enrollment in the two-year program will be the fall of 2017. Only BSW graduates may enter the MSW program with advanced standing in 2016.
How to apply
A completed Western Colorado application includes:
- the Western Colorado Master of Social Work Application (PDF)
- a Career Goals Statement (form supplied with the admission packet)
- an Experience Summary (form supplied with the admission packet)
- an official transcript from all colleges or universities previously attended
- two written recommendations
- a résumé
- a $65 application fee
Please note that GRE scores are not required as part of our MSW admission process.
International students who wish to apply to the Western Colorado MSW Program also must submit the following materials:
- the International Student Application
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) results
To download the International Student Application and obtain specific information about minimum TOEFL requirements for GSSW, visit our international students page.
For admission questions, please contact the GSSW Admission Office at 303-871-2841.
For general information about the Western Colorado MSW Program, please contact Rachel Forbes, program director (970-945-1133).