Skip navigation

GSSWGraduate School of Social Work

Colorado School Social Work Licensure

MSW graduates who wish to obtain Colorado school social work licensure should follow this process:

  • Obtain application materials from the Colorado State Department of Education (303-866-6628). Remember to obtain a Program for Licensing Assessments for Colorado Educators (PLACE) registration bulletin along with your application materials.
  • If you are applying for a Provisional License, you will be required to have fingerprints taken for a background check. You will receive additional information with your application materials.
  • Complete the required PLACE assessments. You are required to complete the appropriate assessment for School Social Workers or to have successfully completed the appropriate American Association of State Social Work Boards examination (Advanced or Clinical). If you are a Colorado Licensed Clinical Social Worker, you may submit a copy of your Colorado license in lieu of these assessments. See the online study guide (PDF).
  • Effective summer quarter 2007, you are required to complete either SOWK 4715—School-Based Prevention and Early Intervention Strategies or SOWK 4712—Law of Family and Child (see course descriptions) at GSSW, or an equivalent graduate level course from another accredited university. GSSW strongly recommends that you take both courses, if possible.
  • In addition to completing either of the required courses listed above, you must also provide proof that you have completed at least 900 clock hours of social work practice with children and/or youth. If you are a GSSW graduate who completed your MSW within the past ten years, we have information in our files regarding where you completed your MSW internship hours. If you graduated more than ten years ago, please include a letter of verification with your Application for a Provisional License.
  • Once these requirements have been met, the GSSW Registrar can complete, on your behalf, the institutional recommendation (p. 14 in application booklet) that is required by the Colorado Department of Education. Please complete Section C of that page, and mail or fax it to:

    Sarah Sweetman, Registrar
    University of Denver
    Graduate School of Social Work
    2148 S. High Street
    Denver, CO 80208-7100
    Fax: 303-871-2845 (attention: Sarah Sweetman)

    Note: The GSSW Registrar is also authorized to complete institutional recommendations for MSW graduates whose degrees were earned at accredited social work programs other than GSSW. If your MSW is not from the University of Denver, please also include an official transcript indicating your completion of a CSWE-accredited MSW.
  • Once we receive your application form, we will make our recommendation and mail the form back to you. This process takes 7-10 days. You will then include this page with your completed application and submit it to:

    Colorado Department of Education
    Education Licensing Unit, #105
    201 E. Colfax Ave.
    Denver, CO 80203-1799
  • As you complete the required PLACE assessments, your scores will be sent directly to the Colorado Department of Education. You are responsible for mailing the application materials, transcripts, fingerprint card and fees to the address above.
  • As of March 1, 2007, you must also submit proof of residence including a signed affidavit and a notarized copy of 1 of 7 approved forms of evidence of legal residence. Please contact the Colorado State Department of Education directly if you have questions or concerns about this requirement.

If you have questions, please contact Sarah Sweetman, GSSW registrar (303-871-2843).

Revised 2/28/08