Skip navigation

GSSWGraduate School of Social Work

Licensure & Continuing Professional Development

GSSW offers a growing range of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) opportunities for human service professionals seeking to strengthen and enhance their professional knowledge and repertoire of skills.

We strive to provide dynamic and relevant options for the Colorado social work community and well beyond.


GSSW's Continuing Professional Development options include:

  • Lectures, conferences and other special events
  • Animals and Human Health Certificate —This certificate is designed to train individuals in the various applications of animal-assisted therapy.
  • Erna and Brad Butler Institute for Families—GSSW's Butler Institute for Families offers a variety of CPD trainings, including child welfare training sponsored by the Colorado Department of Human Services. The Institute's current offerings include:

Please check the Butler Institute website for a complete listing of upcoming training sessions.

  • Licensure Preparation Study Sessions—Prepare for your LCSW and advanced generalist examination by enrolling in our licensure preparation study sessions.
  • Volunteer service—Volunteer with GSSW's Bridge Project, which provides educational opportunities for children living in Denver's public housing neighborhoods so they graduate from high school, and attend college or learn a trade.

Professional development standards and licensure requirements

GSSW's CPD opportunities may fulfill various states' professional development standards and licensure requirements.

In Colorado, Professional Development Hours (PDH) in approved Professional Development Activities (PDA) are available, as well as Continuing Education Units (CEUs). For more information regarding Colorado's continuing professional development requirements specific to social work, including licensure renewal, visit the Department of Regulatory Agencies website.

For information about licensure requirements for another state, view the online social work license map.

Disability accommodation

If accommodation is needed for a disability, please contact the Special Events Coordinator at least two weeks before the program begins.


Visitor parking is available in lots across the University of Denver campus. Please allow sufficient time to navigate traffic and to find parking when attending on-campus classes.

View the campus parking map (PDF) for available lots.