GSSW's Four Corners MSW Program operates through a unique partnership with the Colorado Department of Human Services, Fort Lewis College, Southwest Colorado Community College and many other Four Corners agencies.
Since 2002, this program—based in Durango, Colorado— has met a need for graduate-level MSW education in the rural and tribal communities of the Four Corners region that includes southwestern Colorado, Arizona, Utah and New Mexico. Through the program, Four Corners residents can earn the MSW degree in or near their home communities.
- Enhance social service delivery systems.
- Address community problems and the special needs of rural communities.
- Address the concerns and needs of multi-ethnic communities, with special emphasis on local Native American communities.
- Strengthen the professional social work infrastructure of Four Corners communities.
- GSSW faculty and local social work professionals teach courses on-site in Durango.
- We use Interactive TV (ITV) to simulcast and broadcast classes from Denver.
- We provide online and hybrid courses using Web-based technology.
- GSSW offers field education internships throughout the Four Corners area.
- Both you and your instructors have online access to the University of Denver's Penrose Library, part of DU's new Anderson Academic Commons.
The Four Corners program offers a weekend schedule of Friday afternoon and Saturday classes. This allows you to be in your community during the week and also work at your field internship sites.
Social work with Native Peoples
Because 25 percent of Four Corners student enrollment comes from the area's many Native tribes, the program includes a special focus on Native social work. Two specialized courses, both taught by Native faculty, add Native content to the curriculum.
For detailed curriculum requirements, please see the Four Corners Bulletin (PDF).
Applying to the program
Applications are currently being accepted from prospective students wishing to enter the Four Corners MSW Program with advanced standing in summer 2015. The Advanced Standing Program is available only to applicants with a bachelor's degree in social work from a college or university whose social work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) at the time the degree is conferred.
Prospective students are urged to apply as early as possible. The Graduate School of Social Work at the University of Denver accepts applications for the Four Corners MSW Program until the class is full. The Four Corners application deadline is May 1.
For additional information about the Four Corners MSW Program, please contact Clinical Associate Professor Wanda Ellingson, Program Director (970-247-9773) or (970-259-4122).