Leadership and Sustainability in Belize
LDRS 2400 - 4 credits
|Travel Dates:||Arrive by November 30 and depart December 10 or later|
|Course Dates:||November 30 - December 10|
|Instructors:||Paul Kosempel, PhD and Linda Olson, PhD|
|Registration Deadline:||October 1, or when course is full|
Description: Every day decisions are made by leaders in business, government, and non-profit settings that impact sustainability in its many forms. This course will explore multiple meanings and interpretations of sustainability. The location of Belize provides a perfect learning laboratory to examine how one country is attempting to balance the sometimes competing demands of economic, cultural, and environmental sustainability. Course activities will include staying at a low-environmental impact conference center in the rainforest, visiting a model environmentally sustainable island community, guest lectures from various country experts, and exploring a Maya site. Through these activities, students will examine the role that leadership plays in contributing to small and large scale sustainability efforts.
Students who complete this course will:
- Understand various principles and definitions of sustainability
- Develop an awareness of the competing factors that influence sustainability
- Observe government, business, and community leaders and their attempts to lead sustainable organizations
- Examine leadership styles and practices that contribute to sustainable practices
- Reflect on insights and shifts in thinking about their own leadership approach and what the implications are for their future leadership development
Approximate travel costs*:
|Airfare:||$550 - $700 (Approximate. Students are responsible for making their own flight arrangements.)|
|Program fee:||$1500 (Covers all accommodation, meals except on last travel day, and ground and boat transportation.)|
|Cancellation fee:||$1500 (Non-refundable. Applied to student's account in the event that the student drops the course.)|
*These expenses are estimates subject to change. Cost of tuition is additional to the fees outlined above.
Contact: Paul Kosempel at Paul.Kosempel@du.edu
SPACE IS LIMITED TO 16 STUDENTS. Applications are being accepted now. Final deadline to apply is October 1, 2015 or until course is full. Application forms are available online.
Apply for financial aid online.