DSP is dedicated to giving students with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in the University’s programs, courses and activities. DSP provides accommodations at no cost to any student who has a documented disability as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Accommodations afford students equal opportunity to participate in the University's programs, courses, and activities.
The Genevieve Edsall Mortensen Special Needs Scholarship is available to provide support to University of Denver undergraduate students with disabilities, with preference given to students enrolled in the Daniels College of Business who are from Colorado or Wyoming.
For the academic year 2015-2016, two (2) scholarships of up to $2,900.00 each are available. Scholarships awarded may be used only for tuition and mandatory fees.
- Have a documented disability
- Full-time undergraduate student at the University of Denver
- GPA of 3.0 or above
- Demonstrated financial need
Application deadline is May 26, 2015.
What is Considered a Disability?
A disability is a condition that substantially limits "major life activity," such as walking, hearing, seeing, speaking, breathing, or learning. ADA laws protect:
- Visual impairments (legally blind, progressive vision loss, etc.)
- Deaf or hard of hearing
- Mental/Emotional health conditions (depression, anxiety, bipolar, OCD, personality disorders, etc.)
- Learning disabilities
- Brain injuries, epilepsy
- Autism, Asperger's Syndrome
- Mobility (paraplegia, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, etc.)
- Other (cancer, diabetes, etc.)
This list is not exhaustive. If you have a disability that you feel would qualify you for accommodation, or if you need assistance in determining if you may qualify, please contact us.
How We Help
DSP provides a range of accommodations, including, but not limited to:
- Test accommodations (examples: extended time, minimal distraction)
- Alternate format texts & materials
- Course substitutions
- Classroom changes
- Early registration
- Note takers
- Sign language/oral interpreters
- Referrals to other services and programs