Approximately 90 continuing students are hired each year to provide leadership and guidance to incoming first year and transfer students during the fall Discoveries Orientation program. Orientation Leaders come from all academic majors and all areas of the country, but have one thing in common: they are all excited about the University of Denver and want to pass that passion on to new students as they transition to the campus community.
Successful Orientation Leaders are able to share insights about life at DU both inside and outside the classroom. They have good verbal and written communications skills, are critical thinkers, and are comfortable interacting with a broad range of people (from students to faculty to parents). Orientation Leaders work with a diverse group of approximately 20 incoming students to create an inclusive, welcoming community designed to help in the transition to a university life. They are able to stay positive in sometimes stressful situations and are excellent representatives of the institution.
Orientation Staff Mission
The students of Discoveries dedicate themselves to facilitate the successful transition of new students through leadership, comprehensive programs, and support. We strive to achieve this through three interlocking elements:
- Educate, motivate, and excite students by providing engaging and educational resources and programs.
- Provide positive role modeling and an environment that fosters love of learning, ethical and caring behavior, and respect for differences.
- Work with faculty, staff, and students to ease the process of advising and registration, and promote mentor relationships.
Orientation Leader Requirements
Orientation Leaders must:
- Be a continuing student at the University of Denver
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5
- Attend fall training, 8:00am-6:00pm, August 27th-August 31st, 2013.
- Be available to work all hours September 1st-September 7th, 2013.
- Be in good academic and social standing with the University of Denver
- Attend a 1 day retreat in May (date TBD)
Orientation Leader Application Process
Applications for fall 2013 Orientation Leaders are now open and close March 26th at midnight. The following are the steps applicants should follow to apply:
- A Leader Recommendation must be submitted by a University of Denver faculty or staff member. This Recommendation Link can be found on the left side of this page
- Create an account at www.dujobs.org. Search for 'Discoveries Orientation Leader'.
- Click 'Apply'. Fill out the online application.
- Upload your current resume
- Upload a 1-2 page essay answering the following questions (upload under 'Supporting Documentation'):
Why are you applying for this position and what do you hope to gain from this experience?
What does it mean to be a Pioneer?
Why should the University of Denver provide the Discoveries orientation program for new students?
Discuss a challenge you faced during your past Discoveries orientation leader experience. What did you learn from that experience?
What is something you are proud of from your past orientation leader experience?
6. SUBMIT your application
7. Go back in to your application to be sure it was submitted correctly.
8. Applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted April 1st and asked to sign up for an interview time. Interviews will be held on April 4th and 5th.
IMPORTANT! Applications that have been started but not submitted correctly will NOT be considered. It is critical that you check that your application is complete and submitted. For questions about the www.dujobs.org website, contact Justin Ritter (Justin.Ritter@du.edu) in Human Resources.
For questions regarding the OL application process, contact Megan Lyons at firstname.lastname@example.org.