Approximately 100 continuing students are hired each year to provide leadership and guidance to incoming first year and transfer students during the fall Discoveries Orientation program. Orientation Leaders come from all academic majors and all areas of the country, but have one thing in common: they are all excited about the University of Denver and want to pass that passion on to new students as they transition to the campus community.
Successful Orientation Leaders are able to share insights about life at DU both inside and outside the classroom. They have good verbal and written communications skills, are critical thinkers, and are comfortable interacting with a broad range of people (from students to faculty to parents). Orientation Leaders work with a diverse group of approximately 20 incoming students to create an inclusive, welcoming community designed to help in the transition to a university life. They are able to stay positive in sometimes stressful situations and are excellent representatives of the institution.
Orientation Staff Mission
The students of Discoveries dedicate themselves to facilitate the successful transition of new students through leadership, comprehensive programs, and support. We strive to achieve this through three interlocking elements:
- Educate, motivate, and excite students by providing engaging and educational resources and programs.
- Provide positive role modeling and an environment that fosters love of learning, ethical and caring behavior, and respect for differences.
- Work with faculty, staff, and students to ease the process of advising and registration, and promote mentor relationships.
Hiring of 2016 Discoveries Orientation Leaders
We are now accepting applications for Orientation Leaders! Apply online. Applications are due April 8th.
OL Application Is Open!
- The online application will require you to submit a résumé, cover letter, and 3 references (including email address and phone number). These will need to be submitted as one PDF document.
Career Services Workshop
- Uncertain of what a cover letter is? Need help dusting off your résumé? This workshop is for you! We encourage you all to make use of this workshop. Through getting professional support on your resume and cover letter, you will be able to shine a little brighter amongst the many students who apply to be OL's!
- Absolutely NO late applications will be accepted! Punctuality is that important.
- After application materials are received, we will invite select candidates in for in-person interviews. Feel uncertain about your interviewing skills? Schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor (303-871-2150)!
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5
- Continuing undergraduate student
- Good academic and social standing with the University of Denver
- Ability and desire to work in a team environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to stay positive and problem solve in stressful situations
- Desire to serve as a resource for new students and their families
- Ability to work closely with a faculty partner or academic advisor
- Committed to embedding Inclusive Excellence throughout the entire Discoveries Orientation program
- Love for DU
- Attend a mandatory half-day training on early May (Tentatively 5pm-9pm)
- Attend fall training the week prior to Discoveries Orientation
- Be available to work all hours September 6th-September 11th
- Your personal schedule will be distributed on the first day of fall training.
- Orientation Leaders will be paid $8.23/hr for the 4 hour May training in addition to 2, 40-hour weeks in the fall.
- We'd love to hear from you! Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.