Parent and Family Orientation
About Parent and Family Orientation
Transitioning into college is one of the most exciting times of your student’s life.
It can be both a thrilling and a challenging experience for parents or guardians.
Whether you are a parent or guardian of a first year or transfer student, the Parent and Family Orientation is designed to help you become familiar with DU, answer your questions about University resources and opportunities, and find out what to expect the first year. You will learn about academic policies and requirements, study abroad opportunities, campus safety, health and counseling services, financial aid, and much more!
Following Residence Hall Move-in on Sunday, September 1st, we invite all parents and family members of incoming students to stay for Parent and Family Orientation, Monday, September 2nd -Tuesday, September 3rd. The cost is $25 per person, which helps offset costs of meals and materials (children under 10 do not have to register).The entire Parent and Family Orientation schedule is linked on the left of this page.
Programs during Orientation will take place in various locations across campus. If you need accommodations for Parent and Family Orientation due to a disability, please contact University Disability Services (DSP) at 303.871.2372 to discuss arrangements.
10 Steps to Parent and Family Orientation
- REGISTER HERE! Parent and Family Orientation is September 2nd and 3rd.
- Make travel arrangements. Departure may be planned after 5:00pm Tuesday, September 3rd.
- Book a hotel. DU does not provide housing for families. For an area hotel, please click here.
- Parking. For move-in parking instructions click here. For Orientation parking, be sure to ONLY park in lots C, 103, H1, H2, N and E, as permits are NOT required in these lots from Sept 1-3. You MUST have a permit if parking in lots outside of those listed, otherwise tickets will be given. Beginning Wed, Sept 4, parking permits will be required in ALL lots.
- Check in to Parent and Family Orientation on Sunday, September 1st in the Ritchie Center between 8:00am-1:00pm.
- Review the orientation schedule. Check out the many information sessions and all-campus lectures that are being offered!
- Visit the Resource Fair. This is a great opportunity for both students and parents! Participants include the Parents Association, Greek Life, many student organizations, local banks, hotels and more!
- Join other parents and families for lunch on Tuesday. Share your experiences and expectations with other families.
- Hear from special guest Helen E. Johnson on Tuesday, September 3rd. The co-author of Don’t Tell Me What to do, Just Send Money, The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years, will share the updated ideas and parenting strategies.
- Take a breath and enjoy the experience.