Transfer Student Orientation
Fall 2014 Discoveries Orientation will be August 31st-September 6th. For transfer students, there is also a one-day orientation option on Friday, August 22nd. It is encouraged for all transfer students to attend the week long orientation, yet the one-day orientation option is offered to help allow flexibility. A schedule of the week and one-day orientation will be available at a later date.
All transfer students new to the University of Denver must attend an orientation session, week-long OR one-day.
We know as a transfer student your needs are different than a first-year student. You've had experience on a college campus and need to learn the ins and outs of DU specifically, rather than broad strokes about university life in general.
Discoveries for transfer students is tailored to meet those needs, and also designed to get you connected to a network of other transfer students who will share a similar experience here at DU.
During orientation, you will spend ample time with an academic advisor, register for classes, get connected with staff on campus, and participate in social activities.
Programs during Orientation will take place in various locations across campus. If you need accommodations due to a disability, please contact University Disability Services (DSP) at 303.871.2278 to discuss arrangements.
New Student To-Do List for Fall 2014
- Arrange Housing - If you are planning to live on campus, new student check-in begins at 8:00 a.m. Sunday, August 31st, 2014. Students may see their room assignments beginning July 17th, 2014 on myWeb. http://www.du.edu/housing
- Send Final Transcripts - Request to have your final high school and college transcripts to the Office of Undergraduate Admission by August 1st, 2014. If you have questions about how courses transfer into DU, it will be helpful if you can bring copies of official course descriptions to orientation. These must be printed or copied from the institution's course catalog, either hard copy or online. www.du.edu/registrar/transfer-studyabroad/undertransferpolicy.html
- Submit Immunizations Records - You are required to provide proof of immunization. Download, complete, and return the form found on the Health and Counseling site. www.du.edu/health-and-counseling-center/medical/immunization.html
- Submit your picture for your ID Card - When you arrive on campus for orientation, your ID will be ready for you. www.du.edu/pioneercard/photos.html
- Accept or Waive Health Insurance - DU requires that all students have coverage. Please determine if you need coverage from the University or are able to waive this service due to coverage through your own policy. www.du.edu/health-and-counseling-center/coveragecosts/
- Take the Math Proficiency Survey - Visit the survey webpage to determine whether you should take the proficiency survey, which indicates the level of math you should take in fall quarter. www.du.edu/mathproficiency
- Take the Language Placement Exam- All students entering DU in fall quarter taking Spanish, French, German, or Italian are required to take this exam online by July 31st, 2014. Students planning to take Chinese, Latin, or Russian may download a paper exam and send it in. Students planning to take a language other than those listed here will take a placement exam during Discoveries Orientation week. www.du.edu/ahss/cwlc/testing/incomingstudents
- Take the Know the Code Quiz- Honor Yourself, Honor the Code. Curious about "the rules" at DU? Click here. This contains important information you'll want to know as a DU student. Scroll through the slide show and then show that you Know the Code by taking a brief online quiz.
- Explore ways to get Involved - Want to get involved on campus? You can start right now! Sign up on OrgSync.com and create a profile under the University of Denver. Then look through all the different organizations on campus. There are even contact information for all the student organizations!
- Configure Your Laptop - Computers must be configured to the DU system to comply with security requirements and gain access to the wireless network. For instructions, visit www.du.edu/uts/helpdesk/newstudent.html.
- Get a Parking Permit - If you are bringing a car to campus for the quarter, you will need a permit from Parking Services. https://www.parking.du.edu/student
- Meal Plans - Whether you are living on campus or not, a meal plan may be a great option for the busy life of a student. http://www.du.edu/housing/resources/fees.html
- Arrange Accommodations - If you have a disability and need accommodations, please visit www.du.edu/disability for an intake form, documentation guidelines, and contact information.
- Learning Effectiveness Program - If you have a learning disability and/or ADHD and would like information about a fee based academic support program here at DU please visit www.du.edu/disability/lep.
Pioneer Transfer Alliance
Get connected to other transfer students through the Pioneer Transfer Alliance, DU's transfer student organization. Socialize, get insight and opinions, and talk to other about the ins and outs of transferring to the University of Denver. Visit their Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/groups/DU.PTA.