Skip navigation

Graduate Tax Program

Law School at the University of Denver

Graduate Tax Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Current Students

How and when do I register for classes?

All students who are eligible to register will receive a registration form by mail a few weeks before the end of the previous quarter. This form may be mailed or faxed to the Graduate Tax Program office (fax number 303-871-6358). Do not register online.

Is there a specified order in which classes must be taken?

There is not a strict order, but there are some guidelines. In general, full-time students who start the program in the fall and wish to complete the program in four quarters should take Individual Tax Problems, Property Transactions or Corporate Tax I, and Research & Writing in their first quarter. Partnership Taxation is one of the most difficult courses in the program and should be taken towards the end. Corporate Tax I is a prerequisite for Corporate Tax II and III (but II is not a prerequisite for III); Estate & Gift Taxation is a prerequisite for Estate Planning; and Corporate Tax I and III and Partnership Taxation are all prerequisites for Strategic Tax Planning. Otherwise, courses may be taken in any order. Click here for a chart that will help you plan your course of study. You may also come into the Graduate Tax Program office for counseling.

When are course materials ready?

Materials are available on the first day of class. You purchase all course materials in the Graduate Tax Program office.

I need to change my exam date. What is the procedure?

Pick up and complete an Exam Change Request form, available in the Graduate Tax Program office, no later than two weeks before the end of the quarter.

How do I get my grades?

Grades are available over the Internet at myWeb. Your login is your student I.D. number (printed on your Pioneer I.D. card), and your PIN the first time you log in is your 6-digit birthday (MMDDYY).

Prospective Students

How do I know whether I'm an M.T. or LL.M. candidate?

If you will have earned a J.D. (law degree) before you begin the Graduate Tax Program, when you complete the program you will have an LL.M. (Master of Laws) in taxation. If you do not have a law degree, you will earn the M.T. (Master of Taxation). The same courses are required for both degrees.

A dual degree program is also available for University of Denver law students to earn a J.D. and LL.M. concurrently.

What is the minimum GMAT score you will accept?

There is no minimum GMAT score cutoff. Admission decisions are based on a review of all application materials submitted.

I have (or will have) a J.D. Do I have to take the GMAT?

No, lawyers submit LSAT scores instead of GMAT scores.

How do I apply for admission?

An application is included in the Graduate Tax Program bulletin. You may request a bulletin by sending us e-mail with your complete mailing address or calling us toll-free at 800-426-8802. Or click here to print an application.

When is my application due?

We have a rolling admission policy and accept applications throughout the year. If you plan to apply for financial aid or to live in on-campus housing, you should apply several months in advance if possible.

When do classes start?

See the academic calendar or the quarterly class schedules.

How do I translate between quarter hours and semester hours?

Three quarter hours are equivalent to two semester hours, because a quarter is approximately 10 weeks long while a semester is usually 15 weeks. Therefore, the 45 quarter hours required for the Graduate Tax Program are the same as 30 semester hours (one year of academic work).

What firms recruit on campus?

All the Big Four accounting firms, as well as selected local firms, come to campus to recruit our students. The firms that interviewed Graduate Tax students on campus in the fall of 2012 included:

  • PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
  • Deloitte LLPErnst & Young, LLP
  • KPMG LLPGrant Thornton, LLP
  • Richey May & Co.CBIZ
  • Anton Collins Mitchell LLP
  • Moss Adams LLP
  • EKS&HHein & Associates LLP
  • Eide Bailly LLP
  • GHP Horwath

Students who do not find jobs during the fall recruitment activities or who wish to work for law firms receive additional job search assistance.

How much is tuition?

Tuition is $915 per quarter hour for fall 2013 through summer 2014.

What financial aid is available?

Students who participated in the Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition as undergraduates and those who are members of Beta Alpha Psi are invited to apply for scholarships to the Graduate Tax Program. The deadline for application is February 15. Scholarships for continuing students (not available for the student's first quarter) are described here. Students should apply no later than two weeks before the quarter starts.

For more information on:

  • Federal Loans
  • Scholarships
I am a law student at the University of Denver. Can I get a dual degree?

Yes, a J.D./LL.M. dual degree program has recently been approved. Fifteen quarter hours (10 semester hours) of approved course work in the Graduate Tax Program are accepted toward the 90 semester hours required for the J.D. degree. For more information, click here.

What hotel accommodations are nearby?

Loews Denver (303-782-9300), the LaQuinta Inn Cherry Creek (303-758-8886), and the Fairfield Inn (303-691-2223) are within five minutes of campus. Please call them directly for reservations.

Where can I get information about housing?

You can find on-campus housing information on the Housing and Residential Education website. Off-campus housing near the campus may be less expensive and of better quality than the on-campus housing available for graduate students. For information on apartment buildings in the area, see the off campus page.

Do I need a laptop computer?

A laptop computer is not required for on campus students. However, each seat in the classrooms is wired for power and Internet access, and wireless connections to the Internet are available with the purchase of an integrated wireless network card for your laptop.

Online Students

Do I have to watch each class lecture live, at the same time it is taught in Denver?

No. You may watch the lectures live or later, on ­demand. Watching later gives you more control over the recording playback, such as pause and rewind. You should view the lectures within a few days of when each class was taught, though, because quizzes and homework assignments tied to the lectures are due approximately once each week.

How will I take my exams?

In most courses, the majority of your grade is based on a single exam at the end of the quarter, which is usually about three hours in length. You will arrange for a proctor in your local community to administer your test on the same day the exam is scheduled in Denver, and the proctor will return it to us by FedEx to be graded. Possible sources for proctors include the testing center at a local university, a public or university library, or a commercial educational company such as Kaplan or Sylvan. Your proctor arrangements must be approved in advance, and you are responsible for any fees.

How do I buy my books?

Many instructors write their own course materials, and therefore they are available only from the Graduate Tax Program office. A few commercially published textbooks are used, and every student must have a copy of the Internal Revenue Code and Treasury regulations. We will ship books and course materials to you shortly before the start of the quarter. You may pay for the materials, plus shipping by UPS ground service, by check or credit card.

What courses are offered online?

All required courses and many elective courses are available online, in the same quarter as they are taught live in Denver (see the Annual Course Schedule). For online offerings in a specific quarter, see the Quarterly Class Schedules.


How do I request a transcript, and how much does it cost?

Transcripts must be requested in writing through the University of Denver Office of the Registrar. A Transcript Order Form and additional information is available online at Official transcripts cost $6 per copy and unofficial transcripts cost $1 per copy.

If you have questions that are not answered on this website, please send us e-mail or call 800-426-8802.