Admission to Theatre Department
No audition or review is required for declaring a Theatre major. Applicants should follow the DU application process.
Scholarship & Audition Information
The Theatre Scholarships range from $1000 to full tuition. They are renewable for three additional years beyond the freshman year. A student must declare and continue as a theatre major and be in good academic standing to receive the scholarship. The recipient may also declare a second major.
1. Please contact Jennifer Forsyth (303-871-2518) to schedule an audition date and time.
2. The audition/interview will take approximately 45 minutes. You will be auditioning for the Chair of the Department, Rick Barbour, and various faculty members.
3. Prepare 2 contrasting monologues (one Shakespeare and one contemporary piece), which total no more than 3 minutes.
4. You may sing a song in addition to the 3-minute auditions. Please bring your accompaniment on CD.
DESIGN,TECHNOLOGY, STAGE MANAGEMENT, PLAYWRIGHTING, DIRECTING PORTFOLIO REVIEW
1. Please contact Jennifer Forsyth (303-871-2518) to schedule a portfolio review date and time.
2. The presentation/interview will take approximately 30 minutes.
3. Bring with you all of the following that are appropriate:
a. Programs with your name indicating what you did on various productions.
b. Samples of your writing (i.e., plays, scenes, screenplays, etc.)
c. Your own light plots, costume sketches, makeup designs, set designs, etc.
d. Photos of costumes, sets, lighting, makeup, etc. that you've created
e. Director's or stage manager's prompt scripts
f. Videotape samples of productions you've designed and/or directed.
g. Any sketches or notes on what you've done, or plan to do.
4. Prepare a 5-minute presentation explaining your best work from the items in #3.
5. After your presentation, you will have a 15-minute interview with the faculty who watched your presentation.
All auditions are held at the University of Denver in Johnson-McFarlane Hall
We look forward to seeing your audition and portfolio.
Work-study at DU
The Department of Theatre has numerous work-study positions both in the department office and in scenery, costumes, and lighting. The first step is to apply through the campus financial aid office. After being approved then please contact the DU theatre office to arrange for an interview.