Executive Masters Program
Why an MS in Intermodal Transportation Management?
ITI recognizes the need for a seamless transportation system that integrates all modes—surface, water, and air. It's education programs, therefore, focus on preparing leaders and managers who will have a positive influence on a transportation, supply-chain, and logistics industries that are becoming increasingly more intermodal and interdependent.
The ITI Executive Masters Program is a fully accredited Master of Science in Intermodal Transportation Management from the University of Denver for experienced managers in the freight and passenger transportation sectors as well as the supply-chain and logistics management industries.
The ITI Executive Masters Program allows the program participants to work fulltime, from anywhere, while earning a graduate degree.
The Program Delivery Includes:
- 6 day on-campus residency each quarter for five quarters (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall)
- 4 to 5 day international, intermodal transportation travel seminar during the sixth quarter (Winter) to Europe or Asia
- course materials available through the web-based ITI Community Portfolio
- 25 students or less per class (a laptop computer is required of all admitted students)
- bachelors degree from an accredited institution
- transcripts from undergraduate institution
- 5 years mid-to-senior level management experience
- three letters of recommendation
- organization sponsorship agreement, if applicable
The ITI Program is designed to
- prepare them for the future;
- develop in them an awareness of the local, national, and international impact of an intermodal transportation system;
- encourage them to have a positive influence on the business of intermodal passenger and intermodal freight transportation as well as supply-chain and logistics management;
- prepare them for the technological innovations and the increasing globalization affecting the movement of people and goods;
- provide them with the management and the analytical skills necessary to address the business and public-policy issues relating to intermodal transportation and its human resource needs and challenges; and
- encourage them to develop valuable business relationships.
ITI Program Curriculum
The ITI Executive Masters Program offers an interdisciplinary curriculum delivered as integrated modules. Unlike traditional courses that are taught in a block in a single quarter, several courses in the ITI Program are comprised of modules. These modules are then seamlessly integrated throughout the entire program until all course content has been presented. This method of presenting the material affords program participants greater opportunity for synthesis and analysis. All course modules have been designed to have learning outcomes that support the overall mission and goals of the ITI Program.
The curriculum and delivery have been designed to meet the needs of transportation professionals and public-sector administrators and planners. The five, one-week residencies on the University of Denver campus allow for face-to-face interaction between the faculty team and the program participants, which the University of Denver considers to be a fundamental principle of education. A variety of teaching methods are used, and group discussions, team projects, and offsite activities supplement the more traditional lecture format.
ITI Program Course List
Intermodal transportation is moving people and goods efficiently, economically, safely, and in an environmentally benign manner on an integrated, seamless, ethical transportation system that uses the strengths of all modes and minimizes their weaknesses.
TRAN 4010 Introduction to Transportation Systems
TRAN 4320 Transportation Management, Leadership, and Values
TRAN 4330 Principles of Supply Chain: Management and Technologies
TRAN 4080 Transportation Law and Regulation: Domestic and International
TRAN 4020 Transportation Economics
TRAN 4710 Transportation Finance
TRAN 4030 Quantitative Tools for Transportation Management
TRAN 4060 Transportation Marketing and Sales Tools
TRAN 4340 Supply Chain Strategy
TRAN 4310 Freight Transportation Systems
TRAN 4610 Passenger Transportation Systems
TRAN 4700 Global Trade
TRAN 4050 Intermodal Transportation Systems
TRAN 4920 Leadership Development Planning Project
TRAN 4950 Intermodal Business Planning Project
TRAN 4910 Intermodal Transportation Travel Seminar
ITI Faculty Teams
The ITI Executive Masters Program faculty teams are distinguished by university faculty and industry executives, balancing academic expertise with industry experience. The curriculum was developed by interdisciplinary teams of university faculty and industry executives, many of whom serve on the ITI Board. The classroom instruction consists of both university faculty and industry executives.
ITI MS Update: Curriculum Certified by AST&L
ITI received confirmation from AST&L that the curriculum of the ITI MS is certified by the American Society of Transportation and Logistics (AST&L). Founded in 1946 by industry leaders, AST&L is an organization for transportation and logistics professionals. It promotes continuing education and certification in transportation, logistics, and supply-chain management. Certified in Transportation and Logistics, “CTL,” may be used as professional and educational designations are used in other fields, such as accounting, medicine, or law. The CTL may be used after your name and on business cards, for example, and remains valid with an active membership in AST&L. If you graduated within the last five years, you are eligible to receive the CTL.