Information Security has an arrangement to issue annual SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificates for the du.edu domain through Thawte, a certificate authority recognized by all popular browsing software.
In order to obtain an SSL certificate through this service:
- Web servers must be operated by a University of Denver department and have a Web address in the du.edu domain.
- The department operating the Web server must agree to comply with Thawte's SSL Certificate Subscriber Agreement.
The following information is also required for new certificates:
- A University of Denver budget number that can be charged for the certificate fee.
- A description of the Web server software for which the certificate is to be issued (e.g., IIS or Apache and the release number).
- A Certificate Signing Request (CSR).
Some points to consider:
- Unless special arrangements are made with Thawte, each certificate may be used only on a single server.
- Certificates can be re-issued to accommodate changes such as IP number reassignment that occur during the term of the certificate. Currently, Thawte does not charge for this service.
- Charges for renewing existing certificates are generally less than charges for issuing new ones.
Please send du.edu e-mail to infossl (no hyphen) for additional information.