Microsoft Office 2007
What is Office 2007?
Microsoft Office 2007 is the latest version of Microsoft's productivity suite. It is the successor to Office 2003. It contains a number of new features including a new graphical user interface called the Ribbon, replacing the menus and toolbars with a tab like structure. It also features live preview, SmartArt, mini-toolbars, a revamped user-assistance system, and collaboration features.
Note on compatibility between Office 2003 and Office 2007 file formats & systems
The biggest change in Office 2007 is the use of a new file format called OpenXML. As a result, Office 2007 file extensions have been renamed. For example, Word documents will now be saved using a .docx extension rather than the traditional .doc extension. When a file is saved under Office 2007, the default file format is the new OpenXML file format. Office 2003 systems cannot read this file format without installing the Compatibility Pack first.
Download the Compatibility Pack here.
Conversely, Office 2007 can also save files in the Office 2003 file format by choosing it in the 'Save as' feature.
- Faculty & Staff:
Office 2007 is available. Please contact Jason Bach to obtain this software:
Please refer to the UTS Laptop Requirements page for supported software.
Microsoft has made available flash tool guides simulating how to use the most common applications in Office 2007. These guides are quick, easy, and can help users find the new locations of commands and functions in Office 2007.
Click to download interactive reference guides:
Current problems with Office 2007:
- Cannot import Excel 2007 files into Outlook 2007 (i.e address lists)
Each version has it's own set of requirements that can be found here.
These are the versions of Office 2007 that can be purchased with a new machine, separately through a retail outlet, or made available though volume licensing.
- Office Basic 2007: Available through OEM only, Price N/A
- Office Home and Student 2007: Retail $149
- Office Standard 2007: Retail $399, upgrade $239
- Office Small Business 2007: Retail $449, upgrade $279
- Office Professional 2007: Retail $499, upgrade $329
- Office Professional Plus 2007: Available through Volume Licensing only
- Office Ultimate 2007: Retail $679, upgrade $539
- Office Enterprise 2007 is only available to DU Faculty & Staff full-time employees through our volume licensing agreement.
Educational pricing is available through the DU Bookstore.
For more detailed explanations on the different features available with each version, please review the following web source:
For questions about Microsoft Office 2007 at University of Denver, please email Jason Bach at email@example.com.