Faculty and Staff
Call HELP (4357) from any campus telephone between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday to report the problem you are having. We will need to know the extension of the affected phone, the location, department and the name and phone number of a working phone for a contact. We will also need a valid University budget number for any supplies or equipment charges that may arise from the repair.
Telephone Services provides local service (dial tone) as part of your campus residence service; we assume responsibility only for the wiring and switching components from the jack in your wall back to our equipment. Residents provide and are responsible for their own telephone sets. Therefore, if you are having problems with your telephone, you should first try to determine where the problem lies. Try these steps first:
- If your phone isn’t working, try plugging it in to the jack in a friend’s room. If it doesn’t work in another room, then the problem is probably with your equipment.
- Try a phone you know is working in the jack you are having trouble with. If a known good phone doesn’t work either, then the problem is probably with the jack or the wiring.
- Two common points of failure are the cords – either the line cord which goes from the wall to the telephone set, or the coiled handset cord. Borrow cords from a friend and see if that solves the problem.
- The line cord and the coiled handset cord are NOT interchangeable. If you are using a handset cord between the wall jack and your phone, or a line cord from the handset to the base of the telephone set, your phone will not work.
- If you have accessories, such as an answering machine, the problem may be with the accessory. Unplug that equipment then see if your phone is working.
- We do not recommend the use of cordless phones in residence halls. The close proximity of several cordless phones will cause interference and cross-talk.
If the problem is with your telephone, you should follow the instructions on your warranty or contact your equipment retailer. Telephone Services cannot repair your telephone equipment.
If your cords and equipment are not the cause of the problem, contact Telephone Services Repair by dialing HELP (4357) between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. on regularly scheduled University business days.