Farmers' Market APPLe Recipes
Grilled Chicken With Goat Cheese & Apple
1 lg Braeburn apple, julienned
¼ c sliced sweet onion
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
½ tsp julienned jalapeño chile pepper
2 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
½ tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
1/8 tsp ground cumin
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz each)
1. PREHEAT grill to medium-high.
2. MIX together apple, onion, vinegar, oil, mint, and chile pepper in small bowl. Stir in cheese, cover, and chill.
3. COMBINE salt, black pepper, red pepper, and cumin in small bowl. Sprinkle on chicken. Grill 12 to 16 minutes, flipping once, until cooked through.
4. TOP each breast with 2 tablespoons of the apple-cheese mixture.
NUTRITION (per serving) 276 cal, 37 g pro, 7 g carb, 10.5 g fat, 3.5 g sat fat, 101 mg chol, 1 g fiber, 378 mg sodium
Tip: Braeburn apples blend well with savory chicken and cheese, but Golden or Red Delicious varieties will also work well here. Be sure to spoon the apple and cheese mixture over the chicken while it's still hot so it melts.
4 lb apples
⅓ cup apple cider
¼ cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cinnamon stick
1. PEEL, core, and chop apples.
2. COMBINE with cider, maple syrup, lemon juice, and cinnamon stick in large pot. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until apples are falling apart, about 25 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick. Mash with fork.
NUTRITION (per serving) 125 cal, 1 g pro, 33 g carb, 3 g fiber, 0 g fat, 0 g sat fat, 2 mg sodium
Baked Stuffed Apples
¾ cup toasted almonds, sliced
¼ cup honey
1½ tsp grated lemon zest
1½ fresh ginger, finely grated
2½ lb apples, cored
⅓ cup apple cider
1. HEAT oven to 350°F with rack in center position.
2. MIX almonds, honey, lemon zest and ginger.
3. PLACE apples in 8" x 8" baking dish and spoon in filling. Pour apple cider into dish.
4. COVER loosely with foil and bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
NUTRITION (per serving) 290 cal, 4 g pro, 55 g carb, 8 g fiber, 9 g fat, 0.5 g sat fat, 5 mg sodium
Recipes courtesy of Prevention.com.