Loaded Baked Potato Soup
This healthy loaded baked potato soup recipe is inspired by the comforting flavor of fully loaded baked potatoes with bacon, Cheddar, sour cream and chives. To make a vegetarian version of this potato soup, omit the bacon and use “no-chicken” broth. Serve it with a green salad and crusty bread to clean up the bowl.
4 servings | Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 slices bacon, cut in half
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 pounds medium russet potatoes (2-3), scrubbed and diced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup snipped chives or finely chopped scallion greens
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain, leaving the oil and bacon drippings in the pan. Add onion to the pan and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer about half the potatoes to a bowl and mash until almost smooth, but still a little chunky. Return the mashed potatoes to the pan along with sour cream, 1/4 cup cheese and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the cheese is melted and the soup is heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve garnished with crumbled bacon, the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and chives (or scallion greens).
304 Calories; 13 g Fat; 6 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 30 mg Cholesterol; 35 g Carbohydrates; 13 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 737 mg Sodium; 1024 mg Potassium
Recipe from EatingWell.com