Vice chancellor for Communications & Marketing
June 14, 2016
To: DU faculty and staff
I am pleased to announce that Renell Wynn will serve as the University’s next vice chancellor for communications and marketing, effective Aug. 15.
Renell is currently vice president for communications and marketing at George Mason University, where she serves as principal advisor to the president on matters related to communications strategies and marketing initiatives. She has developed and implemented a strategic communications plan to advance George Mason’s brand identity. She brings to DU over a decade of higher education experience, including work in development communications at The College of William and Mary, as well as nonprofit and public-sector public relations experience. She began her career as a journalist.
An exceptional collaborator and communicator, Renell will be critical to the aims of DU IMPACT 2025—playing a crucial role in creating a more cohesive environment for faculty, staff and students across campus, and helping us communicate our impact to broader audiences across the region, nation and world. She will serve as a strategic partner working closely with me as we bolster our internal and external communications efforts and align them with marketing and branding strategies that capture DU’s momentum and success. She will position DU strategically as a leader in higher education, drawing on the strengths of our liberal arts undergraduate education and our well-respected graduate and professional programs.
I want to thank the members of the search committee for their determined efforts to seek a candidate pool with diverse backgrounds in communications and marketing:
- Gregg Kvistad, Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor, Chair
- Armin Afsahi, Vice Chancellor for Advancement
- Joe Angleson, Associate Professor and Department Chair, Biology
- Lynn Schofield Clark, Professor, Department Chair, and Director, Estlow International Center for Journalism and New Media
- Emily Forbes, Director of Communication for Enrollment
- Victoria O’Malley, Director of Marketing and Communications, University College
- Ryan Peck, Associate Vice Chancellor for External Affairs, Athletics & Recreation
- Ed Rowe, Director for Projects and Planning, Office of the Chancellor
- James Herbert Williams, Dean, Graduate School of Social Work
Constituents from across campus participated in interviews with our stellar finalists from this national search, and their feedback was critical to the process.
I also want to thank Barbara Brooks, who has served as interim vice chancellor since Kevin Carroll’s departure in December and will continue to serve in that role until Renell’s arrival. Barbara stepped up to this challenge after just three months at DU and built many valuable relationships across campus that will serve the department and the University as she returns to her role as associate vice chancellor on Aug. 15. Barbara will be critical to our efforts to develop narratives that capture the breadth and impact of DU’s teaching, research, scholarship, creative endeavors and service to the Rocky Mountain West and the world.
Office of the Chancellor