Skip navigation
Dharamsala, India

Get Started

Program Types

The OIE coordinates credit-bearing summer & quarter-length and longer study abroad programs.  Generally these programs can be divided into two program types: DU Partner Programs (DUPPs) and Unaffiliated Programs (AUPs and UPPs).  

Click here for a brief side-by-side explanation of the two types. 

DU Partner Programs

Most DU undergraduates choose to participate on one of our DU Partner Programs. DU has partnerships with approximately 150 study abroad programs and universities around the world. The variety of offerings in education abroad has grown tremendously over the last 50 years, and there are now several programs to fit just about any student's needs and goals. There are so many options, in fact, that just choosing one program can prove to be extremely difficult; the OIE offers extensive advising information both online and in person at the International House.

DU Partner Programs are categorized as Foundational, Language, Specialized or Exchange. Applicants to Exchange programs must plan to study abroad for an academic year. Applicants to Foundational, Specialized or Language programs may only apply for one term, though in limited cases students may be permitted to extend to an academic year by completing a petition process.

Foundational programs are primarily direct relationships with English-speaking universities. In most cases, DU students will be assured of a placement on a Foundational program, provided that they fulfill requirements and are approved by the host institution.

Language programs are those in which students generally take six quarter credits or more of language credit. If the language is taught at DU, students are required to have completed DU's language requirement prior to participation on the program (many programs/host universities will have higher language requirements). If the language is not taught at DU, students will be encouraged when possible to begin language study either independently or through DU's Center for World Languages and Cultures prior to study abroad.

Specialized programs may offer a more specialized academic or curricular focus. Students must demonstrate a specific academic rationale for nomination to the program. Some specialized programs require that applicants have a specific major or minor. Certain specialized programs may also have language requirements and/or offer significant language study opportunities.

Exchanges are our reciprocal relationships with universities around the world, and students who participate on exchanges will be required to study abroad for an academic year.

Unaffiliated Programs

While the Office of International Education (OIE) offers more than 150 DU Partner Programs, students may decide to participate on an unaffiliated program if its academic offerings, minimum prerequisites, enrollment capacity, or location cannot be reasonably matched by a DU Partner Program. In other words, unaffiliated programs may not duplicate a study abroad program already offered by DU.

Students may not enroll in the University of Denver's "Stop-Out Program" in order to study abroad. All students participating on DU Partner Program or an unaffiliated credit-bearing study abroad programs will work with the Office of International Education (OIE). Credit earned abroad while on "Stop-Out" will not transfer to DU.

There are two ways that students can choose to study abroad on an unaffiliated program:

Approved Unaffiliated Programs (AUP)
  • These programs have been pre-screened to ensure that DU can accept transfer credit from the institution provided students follow all course approval procedures. While programs on this list have been pre-screened for institutional approval, the student is still responsible for researching the program and understanding coursework, application processes, levels of support in country etc.
Unaffiliated Programs by Petition (UPP)
  • Students wishing to pursue an unaffiliated study abroad option that is not an Approved Unaffiliated Program (AUP) must petition the Internationalization Council for approval. The petition is a rigorous process that should be started well in advance of the DU Study Abroad Application deadline

In both cases, students considering and AUP or UPP option are required to meet with an OIE advisor prior to the application deadline and will still submit a Study Abroad Nomination Application including unaffiliated choice(s), including an additional Program Information and Academic Plan supplement. Students interested in a UPP option will also need to submit their formal Petition before the DU application deadline, and should meet with an OIE advisor as soon as possible to understand this process.

More information on AUP and UPP processes and policies can be found here.

All credit-bearing summer study abroad programs are considered unaffiliated and have a separate application process. Students can find more information on summer study abroad here.

All students studying abroad on an AUP/UPP are required to enroll in and complete the courses INTZ 2501 prior to study abroad and then INTZ 2502 (an online course) while they are abroad. Students are required to pay for the one credit of DU tuition associated with INTZ 2502 while abroad. Please contact the OIE for additional details. Please refer to the DU Study Abroad Policies for more info.

Non-OIE Short Term Travel Courses

The OIE coordinates summer and quarter-length or longer study abroad programs. If you are interested in a short-term program, DU offers short-term DU faculty-led travel courses through the University Academic Programs and by various DU academic departments.