Skip to Content

Special Status Students

With our special status option, you can pursue your interests and bolster your education at your own pace without having to complete the full application process. Our graduate classes can help you refresh your skillset and advance your career.

  • Why Enroll as a Non-Degree Seeking Student?

    As a special status student, you will earn credits for your coursework. Unless you apply to — and are admitted — into a degree program, you won't be in line to earn a degree. But through special status, you'll be able to gain the same knowledge and skills as your classmates.

    If you apply for admission and are admitted into your desired graduate program, you can transfer up to 15 credit hours of coursework into your degree program track.

    • Meet your continuing education requirements through a graduate-level skills class
    • Explore topics such as ancient history or biochemistry without committing to a degree program
    • Transfer up to 15 special status credit hours if you want to pursue your graduate degree


  • Prerequisites

    As with our regular degree students, you’ll need a bachelor’s degree to enroll as a non-degree seeking graduate student. Be sure you can provide proof you’ve earned a bachelor’s degree when you apply.

    If you are an international applicant, you will also need to demonstrate proof of your English language proficiency and submit an International Special Status Supplement form.

  • Permissions

    The administrator of the academic program you're interested in needs to sign your special status form before you submit it for registration. Email us if you need help locating contact information for your department.

  • Maintaining Special Status

    To remain enrolled as a non-degree student, you’ll need to apply for special status in your graduate unit during each academic term. With the exception of students enrolled in University College courses, our special status students don't have a course or credit hour limit.

  • Registration

    After degree-seeking students have completed their registration, you may register for classes as a special status student. You'll be able to register for classes before the academic term begins.

    Our special status students often directly contact the appropriate department and the faculty member teaching the course they wish to take to begin the registration process. From there, they'll return to our office and turn in their special status registration paperwork.

    If you need assistance, contact an admission counselor in our Office of Graduate Education to help you learn about the steps you need to take to register as a special status student.

  • Academic Units

    Not all academic units provide our special status option. Check with the academic unit that offers the courses you're interested in to see if they allow special status students.

  • Financial Aid

    We don’t offer federal financial aid or scholarships for our special status students. However, our Office of Financial Aid can help you find private scholarships.

    Tuition Rates

  • Visiting Scholar

    If you’re a faculty member at another institution, you can enroll as a visiting scholar and pursue postdoctoral study. Visiting scholars neither pay tuition nor earn credits for their classes. To earn graduate credits, you’d need to enroll as a special status student.

Apply for special status

Take graduate-level classes without enrolling as a full-time student.


Becoming a Regular Degree Student

Special status students may later choose to apply to one of our degree programs. If you do so, you can transfer the work you’ve completed as a special status student toward your degree. 

  • Special status doesn’t guarantee enrollment in your program.
  • You’ll have to apply for admission to your graduate program. Our application fees and procedures apply.
  • You may be able to apply up to 15 credit hours earned as a special status student toward your degree program.

Want to enroll as a full-time student?

Find a master's, doctoral or certificate program in your field of interest.

Graduate Programs

Related Stories