The Center for Judaic Studies (CJS) is a vibrant source of in-depth learning committed to advancing knowledge of Jewish history, thought and culture through intercultural dialogue and social action both on campus and across Colorado.
The expert CJS faculty research and teach in a wide range of interdisciplinary areas. They are Internationally recognized and offer an impressive lineup of courses in Jewish culture, history, religion, language, literature, philosophy, and film.
In addition, CJS hosts visiting scholars, artists, authors and filmmakers from around the world.
CJS offers a minor, and a number of joint MA and PhD degrees with programs across campus. CJS houses the Holocaust Awareness Institute, the Holocaust Memorial Social Action Site and The Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society. The CJS serves the broader community through events and activities across Colorado.
- CJS offer a variety of courses including English, languages and literatures, history, philosophy and religious studies. The CJS is highly interdisciplinary, and our faculty are joint-appointed across a number of departments within the Division of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences at DU.
- Our faculty are internationally recognized scholars whose ongoing research is at the cutting edge of scholarship in their particular fields of study.
- Students can earn a Judaic studies minor, and can take 3000-level and 4000-level Judaic Studies courses toward a number of MA and PhD degree programs at DU.
- CJS also offers a number of study abroad opportunities as part of our dedication to furthering DU's goal of internationalization.
On Campus and Beyond
- Beyond the classroom, CJS works with organizations across Colorado to create in-depth learning opportunities for students and community members from a wide range of backgrounds. We also offer learning opportunities through the Center's two branch organizations—the Holocaust Awareness Institute, and the Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society and Beck Archives.
- As part of our dedication to furthering DU's goal of inclusive excellence, CJS also regularly partners with campus and community groups on a variety of interfaith and multicultural programs and initiatives.