Skip navigation

College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences

Department of Languages & Literatures

Proficiency and Placement Exams

Languages & Literatures Department

Proficiency & Placement Exams


Once you've decided which language you'd like to study, you'll need to decide which course level is most appropriate for you.

  • If you're new to the language, you should sign up for the first introductory class: 1001.
  • If you've studied the language before, or if you're a native speaker, you'll need to take a placement test.

Placement tests are offered by the Center for World Languages and Cultures (CWLC). The format of your placement test will vary based on your language—some are taken online and are instantly graded, others are paper-based and must be graded by one of our instructors. 



Graduate students who have a foreign language requirement for their program might need to take a proficiency exam.

The Center for World Languages and Cultures (CWLC) administers foreign language proficiency exams for the University of Denver. For more information and instructions,