Skip navigation
Degree Programs

Bursar's Office

Helpful Information

What is the Bursar's Office?

We are the office responsible for generating bills related to student tuition and fee charges as well as financial aid credits. Tuition and fee charges can include tuition, student activity fees, technology fees, room and board fees, on-campus parking permit fees, special class assessments, etc. Student fees do not include books, off-campus room and board charges, etc.

The Bursar's Office is also responsible for managing the collection of student charges and Perkins loans. Our office strives to educate students and their families with payment plan options to help obtain their educational goals at the University of Denver.

Helpful Hints

  • We correspond via email. Check your DU email frequently.
  • Keep a separate file of all correspondence you receive from us. You may need to refer to these important documents in the future.
  • Write down the name of the person you speak with regarding specific inquiries. If you need more information, you'll know who to ask for again.
  • Make sure you're aware of all deadlines and University policies. Missing deadlines can have a huge financial impact.
  • We post important announcements on our homepage and Facebook.
  • If you don't know...ASK! We're here to help!


How do I get my bill and when is it due?
  • A statement listing actual charges and financial aid credits for the term will be generated and posted to DUPay, our online tuition payment portal. An email will be sent to your DU email address each time a statement is posted.
  • Due dates can be found at
Where can I pay my tuition and can I pay with a credit card?
  • Tuition can either be paid online from the DUPay portal (with a personal checking or savings account), by a check that is mailed to our office, or by stopping in and paying with a check or cash.
  • Tuition cannot be paid with a credit card.
Do you have a payment plan?
  • The University of Denver offers payment plan options to pay your tuition and fees. Quarterly payment plans are available for undergraduates & graduates. Semester plans available for law students. The application fee is $20 per quarter and $30 per semester. More information at
What is a Billing Agreement, FERPA or authorized user and do I need all three?
  • All students at the University of Denver are required to sign a yearly Billing Agreement. You will not be permitted to complete registration until you electronically sign this agreement. A registration hold is placed on your account until the agreement is signed. To view this hold and complete the agreement, please login to PioneerWeb. Once there, click the Student tab, and navigate to My Statement | Billing Agreement.
  • A FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974) release must be completed to allow academic/billing information to be shared with persons of your choice, such as your bill payer. This will allow those you designate to inquire on the phone/email or in person about charges on your tuition bill. This is separate from DUPay authorized users. For more information
  • DUPay allows you to share your DU tuition account information with multiple authorized users. Authorized users can log into DUPay to view your student account balance and make payments on your behalf. You also have the option to give authorized users access to your statements and payment history. Authorized users DO NOT have access to your stored payment methods, academic records or other personal information, and you do not have access to your authorized user’s stored payment information. Authorized users are not able to call or email the University and inquire about charges on your statement unless they are also designated on your FERPA release.
  • Billing Agreement is required for all students. While FERPA and Authorized users are not required most students complete these steps to allow designated persons to assist them so they may concentrate on studies.
Why is the bill the same from 12 to 18 credit hours?
  • The University of Denver offers a tuition flat rate equal to 12 credit hours for students enrolled in 12-18 credit hours per term.
When are holds and late fees generated?
  • Financial holds are placed on student accounts when they become 30 days past due. After the overdue balances are paid in full, holds will be lifted. Financial holds prevent registration for future terms, and the receipt of official transcripts and diplomas.
  • Late fees may be assessed on past due balances on the first of each month.
Will I get a refund if I drop a class?
  • Students that plan on withdrawing or dropping classes need to familiarize themselves with the University’s drop deadlines. If a student drops a course or withdraws from the University after the published dates, they will still be responsible for tuition. A calendar of University drop deadlines can be found here
  • Student’s taking 12-18 credits may not receive a refund after dropping a class if total credits remain within the flat rate.
What is the technology fee charge?
  • Technology fees are charged to maintain wireless internet connectivity and university websites, such as PioneerWeb, Canvas, and Blackboard.
What does the student activity fee cover?
  • Student activity fees pay for, campus activities, certain sporting events and other general student-related services.
How do I waive the health insurance?
  • Health insurance can be waived through PioneerWeb. Once there, click the Student Tab, and navigate to Registration Tools | Accept/Waive Health Insurance.
Can I waive the health and counseling fee?
  • The health and counseling fee cannot be waived by undergraduate students, only graduate students. The fee is charged to students registered in 6 or more credit hours.
  • The health fee reduces cost of Health Counseling Center visits, routine labs and prescriptions. For more information on coverage visit the Health Counseling Center website
I applied for Financial Aid, why is it not reflected on my bill?
  • Financial aid disburses 10 days before the start of the quarters/semesters
  • Your award may still be in process or there may be outstanding requirements. Check the status of your financial aid award on the Student tab of PioneerWeb.
Where is the Pioneer ID Office located?
  • The Pioneer ID Office is located on the lower level of Driscoll Center South, below the DU Bookstore.
What is the Pioneer Card Flex Account, how do I put money on the card and how do I check the balance?
  • The Flex account is DU’s flexible spending (debt) account. This account provides security and convenience. You need not carry cash as your Pioneer Card can be used to make purchases on and off campus for a variety of products and services.
  • You can make a deposit online with a credit card, or in the Pioneer ID Office with cash or check. The minimum deposit required is $1.00
  • To check your Flex account balance, go to and click Manage Your Account under Quick Links on the right-hand menu.
What is the difference between Flex, Meal Plan Cash, and meal plans?
  • Flex is an account that you make deposits into and can be used at merchants both on and off campus.
  • Meal Plan Cash is included as part of your meal plan and cannot be used off campus. It can only be used for purchases at on-campus food service locations.
  • Meal plans are required for all first-year and second-year students. You may choose between the Unlimited, 125-Block, or 100-Block plans. Meal plans provide a set number of meals and Meal Plan Cash. Meals can be used in Centennial Halls, Nelson and Nagel dining rooms.
What happens if I lose my Pioneer ID Card, and how much is it to replace it?
  • If your Pioneer ID Card is lost or stolen, deactivate the card immediately online or in person at the Pioneer ID Card Office. For more information, visit
  • The fee is $30 for a lost card and $15 for a damaged card. Replacement cards are produced in the Pioneer ID Card Office in about 5 minutes.
How do I change my meal plan or housing?