News & Advisories
3/4/21 Burglaries and Thefts
Notice Number: 21-1
Date of Incident: 2/15/21-present
Location of Incident: Surrounding neighborhoods near University of Denver
Synopsis: According to the City of Denver crime stats there has been an increase in burglaries and thefts in the surrounding areas of DU. Most of them involve valuables stolen from vehicles, packages stolen from apartment buildings, and items stolen from unlocked garages. Help prevent these crimes of opportunity by following these safety tips:
- Always secure your vehicle and home.
- Valuables left in plain sight or not secured can become easy targets.
- Always have your packages delivered to a secure location.
- Avoid scams and don’t give out personal information in response to a request that you didn’t initiate.
- Use a U-lock to secure your bike through the frame and tire.
Safety & Security Tips
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you see anyone suspicious, avoid them by entering a public place such as a business.
- Do not use your phone or any other electronics when walking. These devices distract you and make you an easy target for criminals.
- Avoid displaying large amounts of cash, or wearing/displaying valuable jewelry or electronics. These items are enticing to criminals who assume that you have more valuables in your possession.
- Try to walk in well-lit areas as much as possible.
- Walk on the sidewalk whenever possible. Walk close to the curb, avoiding doorways, bushes and other potential hiding places.
Please report any suspicious activity related to these crimes to Denver Police Department.
|Denver Police Department||Emergency||911|
|Denver Police Department||Non-Emergency||(720) 913-2000|
|Campus Safety||Emergency||(303) 871-3000|
|Campus Safety (Non-Emergency)||Call to report a crime, request a walking escort or schedule a crime prevention presentation||(303) 871-2334 (1-2334)|
|Campus Safety Anonymous Tip Line||Anonymously report tips regarding crime on campus||(303) 871-3130 (1-3130)|
|Center for Advocacy, Prevention and Empowerment (CAPE)||Provides confidential daytime advocacy and support for victims of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking and sexual harassment||(303) 871-3853 (1-3853)|
|Health & Counseling Center’s Afterhours Counselor on Call||Confidential, after-hours crisis services for urgent mental health and gender violence concerns||(303) 871-2205 (1-2205)|
For crime prevention tips, course offerings and safety information, follow Campus Safety on social media.
These advisories promote safety on the University of Denver campus and comply, in part, with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Police and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1990. The University uses its best efforts to provide information that is both accurate and helpful, following accepted law enforcement practice in describing incidents, suspects and witness accounts.