What is the Service Learning Associates Program?
The Service Learning Associates Program is designed to create student-faculty working relationships that effectively support and use community-based partnerships in learning.
The program provides opportunities for students to play a leadership role in service learning classes. DU students who have completed at least one previous service learning course (or are very knowledgeable in topics related to service learning) are eligible to apply.
What do Service Learning Associates do?
Service Learning Associates (SLA) assist instructors in the planning, implementation and assessment of service learning courses. Ongoing training on service learning and related topics is provided.
Trainings will engage students around how to design a service learning course, develop community partnerships, work in communities, consider cultural diversity in meaningful ways in the classroom and community, examine privilege, develop evaluation and assessment techniques, and lead critical reflection sessions.
Duties of Service Learning Associates will include providing support to faculty members who teach service learning courses.
While the needs of each instructor and class are unique (the student will work with the instructor to create a plan for how the SLA will engage with students and faculty in a service learning course), some activities that an SLA might do include:
- developing partnerships with a community organization
- planning and implementing service learning activities off campus
- facilitating reflection
- developing reflection tools for students
- conducting assessment and evaluation with community partners and students
- researching social justice issues
- working with the faculty member to assess student learning throughout the course and/or problem-solving with students, community partners, and faculty mentors
- creating working, productive community relationships between faculty and student participants
- deepening and strengthening service learning courses on campus
Students receive training through CCESL over the course of the year to support their work with faculty.
Students: How to apply
Applications are accepted in spring and summer for the academic year that follows.
Faculty: How to Request an SLA
Faculty teaching service learning courses are eligible to request a Service Learning Associate to assist with the SL component of their course. SLAs work with faculty to support the implementation of the service learning components of classes. To request a Service Learning Associate, please complete the request form and send it to Cara DiEnno at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please contact Cara DiEnno at email@example.com, or at 303-871-2158.