The University of Denver will host in-person Summer Commencement on Saturday, August 21 at 10:00 a.m. MT in Magness Arena. The event will be open to family and friends of the graduates. Please see the FAQs below, particularly regarding COVID protocols. We look forward to celebrating in-person with our graduates and their guests!
Where should graduates and guests park?
Please park in Lot L, on East Asbury Avenue. There is no charge for commencement parking.
What should graduates wear and bring with them?
Please wear your academic regalia and bring a photo ID with you.
What time should graduates arrive?
Plan to arrive between 8:30 – 9:00 a.m.
Graduates should enter the building through the northwest doors, adjacent to the Barton Lacrosse Field, where they will be checked in by staff from the Registrar’s Office.
What time will doors open for guests?
Doors to Magness Arena will open at 9:00 a.m.
How long will the commencement ceremony last?
Approximately 90 minutes.
Will the ceremony be live streamed for loved ones who cannot attend in person?
Yes, the ceremony will be live-streamed from the DU website.
Are there any COVID protocols to be aware of?
UPDATE as of Monday, August 16: Due to the ongoing COVID pandemic the following protocols are now in place:
- All guests and any other individuals who are not cleared for campus will need to fill out a required COVID Visitor Survey on August 21st prior to coming to campus.
- Face masks are required for everyone in the Ritchie Center. This includes graduates, guests, faculty, staff, and administration. (Note: Graduates will be allowed to remove their face masks for their professional photos as they walk across the commencement stage.)
- To ensure social-distancing between households in Magness Arena, all guest seating will now be assigned. At the entry doors to the Ritchie Center, guests will receive their seat assignments (e.g., Section 1, Row 1, Seats 1 - 6). Guests who want to be seated together should enter the building together. Guests who need to be seated in ADA sections will be directed by ushers once inside the building.
- Guest entry into the Ritchie Center is only through the south doors, on East Asbury Avenue.
- If you are experiencing any possible COVID symptoms on the day of the event, please do not come to campus.
Is guest seating in Magness Arena assigned, or can I sit wherever I want?
UPDATE as of Monday, August 16: To ensure social distancing between households in Magness Arena, all guest seating will now be assigned. At the entry doors to the Ritchie Center, guests will receive their seat assignments (e.g., Section 1, Row 1, Seats 1 - 6). Guests who want to be seated together should enter the building together. Guests who need to be seated in ADA sections will be directed by ushers once inside the building.
I’m a graduate. What do I need to do to be cleared to come to campus for commencement?
Graduates who are currently cleared for campus access do not need to take any additional action to attend their commencement ceremony. Any graduate who is not cleared for campus access should fill out the COVID Visitor Survey within two hours of arriving on campus for commencement.
I’m a guest. Do I need to fill out a COVID symptom survey prior to arriving on campus?
Yes. Please fill out the COVID Visitor Survey before arriving to campus.
I’m a guest and I am having trouble filling out the COVID symptom survey. Who can help me?
If you are unable to fill out your survey prior to campus arrival, staff will be available at the entrance to the Ritchie Center to help you. Only after your survey is filled out will you be allowed entry in to the building.
I am a graduate. Can I take my mask off as I walk across the commencement stage and have my photo taken with Chancellor Haefner?
Yes. Graduates will be permitted to take their masks off as they walk across stage and while they have their professional photo taken with the Chancellor
How and when will graduates receive their commencement photos?
Photos will be emailed to graduates approximately one month after commencement. If it has been more than one month since the graduation ceremony please call LifeTouch photography at (800) 505-9496.
When will graduates receive diplomas?
The Office of the Registrar will mail diplomas in late September.