Skip navigation

Conflict Resolution Institute

Conflict Resolution Institute: Admissions



The graduate school application process can be confusing. In an effort to alleviate the stress of trying to find information, we compiled the following graduate admissions Frequently Asked Questions to help you navigate this process successfully.

If your question is not answered here, contact us by calling 303-871-6477 or email [email protected] and we are happy to assist you. 

Application FAQs

Where should I send my application materials?

Official transcripts (1 copy per institution where more than 2 credits were completed) should be sent to the following address:
Office of Graduate Admissions
2199 S. University Boulevard
Mary Reed Building, Room 5
Denver, CO 80208

What do I have to submit for my application?

In order to successfully complete an application to the Masters in Conflict Resolution Program, you will need the GRE General Test or the GMAT, two letters of recommendation, your most current resume/CV, one official sealed transcript, a statement of purpose (describing why you want to study Conflict Resolution), a writing sample (5-20 pp maximum demonstrating skills in English composition and analysis), the TOEFL (if applicable) and the fee for completing the application online.

Where/How do I complete my application?

All applications should be completed online. Transcripts should be sent to the address mentioned previously.

When is the application deadline?

February 1 for Fall Quarter admission.

How do my recommenders submit their letters?

Letters of recommendation requests are sent to your recommender via email within one business day of the submission of your online application. You will be asked to provide names and email addresses of individuals who will be writing your recommendations. Please ensure you have accurate email addresses for your recommenders prior to submitting your application. We suggest you let your recommender know the recommendation request will be coming from the University of Denver in advance. This will allow him/her to send a letter electronically and meet the application deadline if applicable. Instructions for an evaluation form will be included in the email for those departments with such requirements.

When is the late application deadline?
  • May 1 for Fall Quarter admission
  • November 1 for Winter Quarter admission
  • January 15 for Spring Quarter admission 
What should be included in the Statement of Purpose?

Your Statement of Purpose should describe why you want to pursue a degree in Conflict Resolution (2 pp maximum).

Once I have submitted my resume and statement of purpose am I able to send a new copy or make updates?

Applicants are unable to update these items once they have been submitted. Please make sure that these documents are complete and that your final version is submitted.

Does the Masters in Conflict Resolution have formal interviews?

No, the Masters in Conflict Resolution does not require you to come to campus for a formal interview prior to your decision. 

Can I check the status of my application online?

Yes. Once you have submitted your application you will be able to check to make sure your recommenders have submitted their letters and you will be notified electronically when a decision has been reached. 

What is the application process for dual degree programs?

The Masters in Conflict Resolution is administered through the Conflict Resolution Institute. If you are interested in pursuing an MA in Conflict Resolution and an MA at the Josef Korbel School of International Studies, you will need to apply and be accepted to both programs to be considered a flexible dual-degree student. 

Does the Masters in Conflict Resolution allow transfer credits?

Yes. You may have up to 21 quarter or 14 semester hours be transfer credits.

Do I have to submit scores from a GRE?

You must submit either the GRE or the GMAT for admission. 

Can I submit GMAT or LSAT scores instead of the GRE?

You can submit the GMAT instead of the GRE, but the LSAT is not accepted. Official LSAT scores can only be sent to Law Schools, therefore the LSAT cannot be accepted for admission to this program. The ONLY EXCEPTION is for applicants who are already enrolled in the DU Law School. 

Do I have to take the TOEFL?

Official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are required for all graduate applicants, regardless of citizenship status, whose native language is not English or who have been educated in countries where English is not the native language. Applications will not be processed until the required TOEFL or IELTS score is received. The TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years from the test date. Applicants may be exempted from English proficiency test requirements if by the time of matriculation they have earned a post-secondary degree from a formally-recognized/accredited university where the entire language of instruction and examination is English. These applicants must have attended an English-medium university for all years of study toward the degree program. Such applicants may be exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement but not from other standardized graduate entrance examinations.

What are the TOEFL requirements?

587 Paper-Based; 240 Computer-Based; 95 Internet-Based; 7.0 in the IELTS 

What is DU's institutional and department codes for the GRE and TOEFL?

The University of Denver institutional code for the GRE and TOEFL is 4842. The Conflict Resolution Department Code is 5101. 

If admitted, when do I need to notify the school if I will accept or decline the admissions offer?

Please refer to your acceptance letter for deposit deadline information. 

Can I defer my admission?

Before you make any request or decision to defer admission, please talk with the Director of our Graduate Program, Dr. Karen Feste, at [email protected].


How big is the Conflict Resolution program?

Admission is limited between 15-20 students per year.

What is the average class size for classes in the Conflict Resolution program?

Classes average between 10 and 20 people. 

Can I change my program after receiving my admission letter?

Students that apply to the Masters in Conflict Resolution cannot change their program after receiving their admission letter. Only students who apply to the Josef Korbel School of International Studies can switch their program, and then only within the Josef Korbel School of International Studies. 

Can I reuse any items from my previous application if I would like to reapply for admission?

For applicants who applied for the fall 2012 quarter or a later term, GRE scores and transcripts may be reused for up to three years. However you will need to submit a new statement of purpose, resume and letters of recommendation. Your original username and password can be reused; once you log-in select "New" under the "Applications in Process" section and begin your application. A $30 reapplication will apply if the original $60 application fee was paid. Please select "submit payment" and send a check in the amount of $30 payable to the University of Denver to the following address:

Office of Graduate Admissions
2199 S. University Boulevard
Mary Reed Building, Room 5
Denver, CO 80208 

Who can I contact for a meeting if I have any additional questions?

If you have additional questions or would like to request a meeting and live in the Denver Area, you should contact the Director of the Conflict Resolution Program, Karen Feste PhD. Her contact information is as follows:

Ben Cherrington Hall, Suite 217
Phone: 303:871-2418
Fax: 303-871-2456
Email: [email protected] 

Does the Master's degree program in Conflict Resolution run on quarters or semesters?

Along with the University of Denver's Academic calendar, The Masters in Conflict Resolution runs on 10-week quarters. 

Are there fellowships or assistantships that I can apply for during the regular admissions process?

Please contact us at [email protected] for more information about potential fellowships and scholarships. 

Can I visit the campus before making a decision?

Yes. We encourage you to visit the campus, sit in on a class or come to an open-house event. Please schedule an appointment with Dr. Karen Feste for any campus visits.