• Will my student's ability to live on campus be affected?

    Only those students that genuinely do not have the option to return home for a variety of reasons are allowed to stay. Those approvals are being done on a case by case basis.

  • Will DU ship or store my student’s belonging left behind in the residence halls?

    DU administrators are currently making decisions about how to connect any belongings left behind to students that may have already checked out of the residence hall.  This may include shipping, storing, and/or allowing appointment times to receive belongings (for local students).

    Student who checked out of the residence halls should wait for further instruction and not return to campus anytime in the near future.

  • Will my students’ room and board be refunded as a result of this situation?

    Here is what you and your family can expect:

    • Reversal of room and board charges for those students who have moved out of DU housing;
    • Reversal of student activity fee and student health and counseling fee (to be prorated for Sturm College of Law students);
    • Reversal of these charges may create a credit balance in the student account for those who have already paid these charges;
    • Credit balances created by the reversals will be refunded to students;
    • Financial aid and scholarships, including the residence hall grant, will not change; a few students (athletes, Boettcher scholars) may have scholarship adjustments based on an award that is specific to room and board costs;
    • Tuition charges for the spring term will remain unchanged.

    The University has begun processing the refunds for housing and meal plans as well as the activity and health fees. Students and authorized users can log onto DUPay to check the status of refunded charges and will receive an email when a refund has been added to their account.

COVID-19 and My Student's Health

  • Are there any cases of COVID-19 on campus?

    There are two confirmed cases of DU graduate students with COVID-19. One student has not been on campus since March 4, the other has not been on campus since March 9. Both students are self-quarantined. 

    There is one confirmed case of a DU undergraduate student with COVID-19. That student lives off campus. They are now back home and are self quarantined.

    In all cases, we are following the advice of health care professionals and following appropriate notification protocols for those who may have been directly exposed. 

  • What if my student becomes ill for an extended period of time and falls behind academically?

    The University is committed to students' academic success and progression. This will be handled on a case-by-case basis. It is important to know that symptoms of COVID-19 are often mild and it is the expectation that students continue their coursework online should they be isolated or quarantined. 

    When students experience an illness and are unable to complete their course requirements, they may request a Medical Withdrawal by following guidance from our Student Outreach and Support office, http://du.edu/studentsupport.  All situations of illness will be handled on a case by case basis.

  • Who will be on campus to support students who are sick?

    A variety of campus health and counseling staff will be available on campus to serve those who are sick. The University continues to follow all HIPAA, FERPA, CDC and public health guidelines in terms of care.  

  • Will students be transported off campus if they tested positive or will they stay in campus housing?

    Per the recommendation of the CDC and public health officials, those who test positive will be asked to self-isolate and quarantine where they are and stay there. This will prevent the further spread of the COVID-19 virus. 

  • What should my student do if my student plans to return to campus after visiting an area with sustained outbreak?

    The University asks that you self-quarantine in your current location for two weeks and not return to campus unless you have housing insecurity needs. In that situation, we will work with you accordingly and students with housing issues should email [email protected] to have their questions routed to the right person.

  • What happens if my student gets sick while living in a residence hall?

    In order to prevent more cases of the COVID-19 virus, the current recommendation from the CDC is to self-isolate and quarantine in the current location. It is not recommended that your student travels or moves to another location. 

  • What happens if someone in the dorm is diagnosed with COVID-19?

    If someone tests positive for COVID-19, the local health department will contact that person and initiate an investigation. The results of the investigations will determine next steps for limiting the exposure risk to others. This could include quarantining a floor in a residence hall community or recommendations for a wider scope of quarantine and/or deep cleaning if the case originated in an apartment, office building or open suite area.

  • Can the health center administer tests for COVID-19 or does my student have to go somewhere else?

    If your student is experiencing symptoms of fever, cough, shortness of breath, call the HCC at 303-871-2615. Students with these symptoms are advised to not visit the Health & Counseling Center (HCC) without a phone consultation. Staff at the HCC will determine next steps.

    Health care providers only can request a test for the virus that causes COVID-19. Those requests are made in alignment with guidelines from county or state public health offices. Approvals are based on symptoms and on risk factors such as travel history or exposure to individuals known to have the disease.

    Should testing be needed, a HCC staff member will give students information about next steps. Walk-in testing is generally not available, including at the Health & Counseling Center (HCC) on campus.

  • What can my student do to maintain their mental health and well-being?

    Students should call the Health & Counseling Center at 303-871-2205 for support. Students can also reach out to Student Outreach & Support, which is a University resource where trained staff members ensure students are connected to appropriate campus resources, have a plan of action to meet their goals, and learn how to navigate challenging situations. Activate these services by completing a SOS Referral at sos.du.edu or by calling 303-871-2400.

  • Can my student get care from the Health & Counseling Center even if they are at home?

    Yes. The DU Health & Counseling Center is prepared to go online with medical and counseling services. Visit https://myhealth.du.edu/


  • Will all classes be online?

    All classes will be online until the end of spring quarter.

  • Are campus visits, tours or sessions impacted at this time?

    All admissions-related programs are cancelled through April 10.

    The Admissions office is open virtually. The experience includes an information session, our virtual tour, and the DU student experience.

  • Should my student travel to see family?

    Please follow all travel alerts—both domestic and international—closely. Please ask your student to discuss travel plans and share detailed itinerary with families and emergency contacts. 

  • We have an older family member not in good health. What can we do to protect them?

    Older adults and people who have severe underlying chronic medical conditions, such as heart or lung disease or diabetes seem to be at a higher risk for developing more serious complications from COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control recommends avoiding close contact, and putting distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick.

  • What if students don’t have Wi-Fi at home? Should they stay on campus instead of planning to spend spring quarter at home?

    At this time, students may choose to stay on campus if they don’t have access to Wi-Fi at home, or if they have another need to stay on campus in order to continue their educational progress. Housing and Residential Education is working with students to determine the reasons they may want to stay on campus and how to best serve them.

  • How will my student be counted in the 2020 census?

    College students living in on-campus housing are counted through their university. In general, parents and guardians should not count these students in their responses as living at home. Even if they are home on census day (April 1), they should be counted where they live and sleep most of the time. Find more information here.

  • What financial assistance resources are available to students during this crisis?
    • Student Assistance Fund (SAF) 
      • Purpose: The Student Assistance Fund provides limited financial assistance to currently enrolled University of Denver students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses because of temporary hardship related to an unexpected situation. (Request examples: Supplies for self-quarantine, funds for traveling home, concerns about food insecurities.)
      • How to apply: Click here to submit an application to the SAF
        • Documentation is required for the Student Assistance Fund Process. State, local policies, and company support options are rapidly evolving in response to COVID-19.  Therefore, when considering fund requests related to rent and utilities, documentation is needed that demonstrates landlords and utility companies are reporting students to collection companies, evicting students, or disconnecting services to move forward with the Student Assistance Fund in order to address student need.
    • For Rent & Utility Requests: During the COVID-19 crisis students are being directed to their local governments for guidance on support with Rent and Utility resource requests.
      • Denver Resources: City of Denver’s Temporary Rental and Utility Assistance Program
      • Resources for those outside of the City of Denver:
        • Please work with your local governments regarding resource options within your city.
        • If requested, a case manager can work with you to help identify resources within your home city.